Billionaire Trustee Hosts Dinner for Early Admits at Renowned Farm | Newsletter for February 16

The farm’s restaurant normally costs $250+ per/person.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning.

The University told departments last fall that the reduction of federal work-study allocations as well as a rise in Chicago’s minimum wage could cause its funding pool to expire in spring quarter, before it replenishes. University employers would then be responsible for paying the entirety—instead of the 25% they pay now—of the paychecks for students on work-study. Schools in such situations have the option of funding fewer students or cutting back on student workers’ hours to account for a higher minimum wage, according to a Department of Education spokesperson.

Dining with a billionaire: Trustee John Liew recently hosted an annual event with early admits to UChicago at Stone Barns in Westchester county, a renowned farm with a restaurant, Blue Hill, that normally offers a $250+/per person menu. The event was attended by about 100-200 people, including parents. The guest list also included successful New York-based UChicago alumni, according to an attendee who said many of the alums at this year’s event are in finance, coming from workplaces including Goldman Sachs, the Federal Reserve, and Liew’s company, AQR Capital.

Dean of Admissions James Nondorf attended this year. Nondorf walked around tables, asking the alumni to talk about where they are working and what they are doing. “It was a pretty high energy event,” the source said. “Frankly, just very impressive.” As Nondorf has said in the past to many incoming students, he assured the crowd that this was the most difficult year ever to get into UChicago.

A 21-year-old and 16-year-old were charged on Wednesday after being arrested on campus during a lockdown of several school buildings on Monday. They allegedly participated in an armed robbery of a GameStop south of campus.

— According to charging documents, 21-year-old Antwan Dickerson was found by police unresponsive in the bushes near the car crash where the police chase ended. He was taken to the hospital, where doctors who were treating him found a bag of heroine, allegedly containing 15 grams or $1500 worth, according to police. Only the 16-year old was charged for the armed robbery; it’s not clear if prosecutors are considering charges for the other alleged participants. 

IOP fellow Lisa Madigan, the former Illinois Attorney General spoke on a panel Monday with Deputy Governor Christian Mitchell (A.B. ’08) and Illinois House Republican Leader James Durkin. 

The University’s Crime Lab is involved with a Chicago Public Schools initiative exploring surveilling CPS students’ social media posts for possible gang affiliations, funded by a $2+ million grant, ProPublica reports.

Ellen Purdy, a fourth-year Chemistry major in the College, has won the prestigious Gates-Cambridge Scholarship. She plans on using the award to pursue a master of philosophy at the University of Cambridge.

In Podcast

Editor Austin Christhilf writes in:

In this week's student episode of Student Section, learn all about our women's basketball team. Student Section is a podcast which will highlight our sports teams across the university. Learn about the players, coaches, and become invested in the storylines of each and every team.

This week on Dear Abby, new love and Valentine’s Day. A listener writes in asking what to do for Valentine’s Day with their new significant other, a question that all too relevant for both Abby and Abby.

In Sports

Editor Audrey Mason writes in:

The men's and women's basketball teams face off against Brandeis and NYU this weekend.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.