Faculty Forward Files Grievance; Reform and CARE Slates Compete to Lead SG

The union claims the University is violating their contract by continuing to bar union members from being eligible for the prestigious Quantrell teaching award.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s fourth week.

The union of non-tenure-track faculty members filed a formal grievance for the University’s continuing to bar union members from being eligible for the prestigious Quantrell teaching award.

• Faculty Forward, the union, had pushed for eligibility since the beginning of bargaining in the face of University pushback.
  • Despite the changes in language made to the union’s current contract to grant them eligibility for the award, the University maintains that only tenured or tenure-track faculty members and senior lecturers are eligible.

Two slates are competing this year for the top positions in Student Government: Reform and CARE (“Community, Amplify, Represent, Empower”).

• The Reform slate is made up of second-year presidential candidate Kyle Shishkin, first-year Vice President of Student Administration candidate David Liang, and first-year Vice President of Student Affairs candidate Anya Wang.
  • The CARE slate comprises third-years Jahne Brown, Brittney Dorton, and Kosi Achife, running for President, Vice President of Student Administration, and Vice President of Student Affairs, respectively.
  • Look out for The Maroon’s upcoming interviews with each slate in this week’s print issue.

Students will vote for their representatives on Blueprint from Monday, May 6, through Wednesday, May 8.

A report on graduate student education, released in early April, shows mounting dissatisfaction among graduate students in aspects of graduate student life including pedagogical training, funding, and grievance policy.

• The Committee on Graduate Education, which was composed of University faculty and Ph.D. students from a range of departments, was charged last year by Provost Daniel Diermeier with providing an assessment of the state of graduate education.
  • The report made brief mention of Graduate Students United’s unionization efforts, stating: “the Committee takes no position on whether collective bargaining is the appropriate mechanism for discussing these issues going forward.”

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

In Arts

Editor Perri Wilson writes in:

In the Sensasia cultural show, iridescent costumes sparkled against the light, and the audience held back their energized hollers, mesmerized by the unique beauty of the performances.

A review of the new movie Booksmart finds, “Especially with such an underrepresentation of women filmmakers in Hollywood, seeing a film that embodies feminism in both its plot and creation is refreshing.”

In Viewpoints

Editor Alexa Perlmutter writes in:

Columnist Brinda Rao analyzes the meaning behind the high-end clothing popping up on campus and argues that UChicago’s traditional quirkiness has been replaced.

Columnist Maya Holt reflects on moving to Chicago and deciding whether to vote in Illinois.

Crossword

Play The Maroon’s crosswords online on our new site. The newest is a Game of Thrones themed “Puzzle of Ice and Fire.”

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.