President of United Airlines, Venture Capitalist, and Money Manager Elected to UChicago Board of Trustees

Thomas Dunn (A.B. ’81, M.B.A ’86), Brett J. Hart, (J.D. ’94), and Hilarie Koplow-McAdams (A.M. ’87) began their five-year terms last spring.
UChicago News
From left to right: Hilarie Koplow-McAdams, Brett J. Hart, Thomas F. Dunn.

The University of Chicago Board of Trustees elected Thomas Dunn (A.B. ’81, M.B.A. ’86), Brett J. Hart (J.D. ’94), and Hilarie Koplow-McAdams (A.M. ’87) to begin serving their five year terms last spring.

This trio are the newest trustees on a 55 member board that is responsible for “ensuring the capacity of the University to fulfill its mission for current and future generations,” according to UChicago’s website. Trustees contribute to financial planning, global advocacy, and general programmatic oversight.

Thomas Dunn, founding partner and former CEO of institutional money manager New Holland Capital, graduated from the College with a B.A. in English literature and from Booth with an M.B.A. in finance. He then moved to New York where he worked at Goldman Sachs Asset Management until 1994. From there, he led the fixed income asset management team at Lazard Freres and built-up the hedge program at Dutch-based pension fund ABP. He, and a handful of other co-founders, spun off the program into a new company, New Holland Capital, in 2006, becoming one of the first pension funds to reorganize its hedge fund management in such a way.

Dunn currently serves on the University of Chicago’s Urban Labs Advisory Council, the College Dean’s Parent and Family Council, the National Hedge Fund Services Board, and the Committee on Photography at the Museum of Modern Art.

Brett J. Hart, President of United Airlines, graduated from the University of Chicago Law School in 1994 after receiving a B.A. in philosophy and English from the University of Michigan. He went on to serve as a special assistant to the General Counsel in the U.S. Department of Treasury and became a partner at international law firm Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal in Chicago. From 2004 to 2010, he rose through the ranks at Sara Lee food company, beginning as Assistant General Counsel and working his way to Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary. He left Sara Lee in 2010 to become Executive Vice President at United Airlines and was appointed as President in May of 2020.

Hart currently serves as a board member at the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity. He previously served on the University’s Law School Advisory Council and the Board of Directors at Fermilab.

Hilarie Koplow-McAdams, a Venture Partner at venture capital firm New Enterprise Associates (NEA) since 2017, graduated from the University of Chicago with a Master’s Degree in public policy after receiving a B.A. from Mills College. She spent the first 18 years of her professional career at computer software company Oracle, where she served as Senior Vice President of Oracle Direct and played a large part in guiding the company’s growth in the technology and application markets. Koplow-McAdams then went on to work at software company Salesforce.com and served as President of Global Sales for a little less than a year in 2013. From 2015 to 2017, she developed global growth strategies as President of software company New Relic, before becoming a venture capitalist in 2017.

Koplow-McAdams currently serves as a chair on the Advisory Council of UChicago’s Harris School of Public Policy and the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. She is also a board member at Zendesk, BloomReach Global, Knotch, DataRobot, HackerOne, Automation Anywhere, Beyond Identity, and Tulip Interfaces, most of which are private tech companies located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Boston.