Student Found Deceased in I-House Dorm Room

A campus-wide email identified the student as Marcus Jacob Goodman, a third-year computer science major.
University of Chicago
The entrance of International House

A student was found deceased in an International House dorm room on Monday, September 27. The death was first reported at 11:26 p.m. in the University of Chicago Police Department Daily Incident Reports Archive. The incident does not pose a safety concern for the campus community, according to a campus-wide email sent by College Deans John Boyer and Jay Ellison this afternoon.

Marcus Jacob Goodman, a third-year computer science major and I-House resident from Cincinnati, Ohio, was identified as the deceased in the University’s email.

The College will host a memorial reception for Goodman in I-House between 4:00 and 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 30. All students, regardless of whether they live in on-campus housing, will be welcome.

Editor’s note: Counselors at UChicago Student Wellness are available by phone at (773) 702-3625.

We hope to follow up on this article with an obituary memorializing Marcus’ life and his time as a member of the University community. We ask anyone who has memories they want to share about Marcus to please contact us at editor@chicagomaroon.com.