Stuff To Do (STD) 2/27/09—3/4/09

Marsalis, Motet and Fleetwood Mac.

Friday / February 27

Jazz great Wynton Marsalis will be appearing with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra in its annual performance at the Chicago Symphony Center. The trumpeter will be directing the orchestra as well as performing renditions of jazz favorites. (220 South Michigan Avenue, 8 p.m., $39)

Fangirls rejoice: Doc will finally be showing Twilight tonight. The teen vampire thriller, starring hottie-of-the-day Robert Pattinson and his greasy hair, tells the love story of Bella and Edward. Unfortunately, Edward is a 100-year-old vampire who is hungry for Bella’s blood. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 11:30 p.m., $5)

Saturday / February 28

The Motet Choir and Rockefeller Chapel Choir will be performing the world premiere of Swedish composer Sven-David Sandström’s University-commissioned piece, Wachet Auf. The concert will also include other pieces by Sandström as well as works by Bach. (Rockefeller Chapel, 8 p.m., $10)

The California-based band The Henry Clay People may have considered the band name Forgotten Presidency of Chester A. Arthur, but probably named themselves after the founder of the Whig Party because Chester A. Arthur is perhaps a little too obscure. The Henry Clay People will be performing alongside the Airborne Toxic Event. (3159 North Southport Avenue, 10 p.m., $12)

Sunday / March 1

After months of pouring their sweat and tears into their compositions, Music Department graduate students will finally see—and hear—their hard work bear fruit. The New Music Ensemble performs contemporary chamber orchestra works by students tonight. George Crumb’s Vox Balaenae will also be performed. (Fulton Recital Hall, 8 p.m., free)

A modern-day fairy tale set in a Midwestern town comes to life in the House Theatre’s production of Rose & the Rime. When the town of Radio Falls comes under a spell of eternal winter, it is up to Rose to save the town from the curse of the Rime Witch. The play was previously featured at the American College Theatre Festival. (1543 West Division Street, 7 p.m., $25)

Monday / March 2

The classic film that immortalized James Dean as an American heartthrob will be on an extended run at the Gene Siskel Film Center. Rebel Without a Cause set the agenda for Hollywood “teen” movies to come, tackling themes of fitting in, rebellion, and love. (164 North State Street, 8 p.m., $7)

Tuesday / March 3

The Invisible Children RSO will be screening its namesake film about three child soldiers in Uganda. The film examines the effects of the civil war in Uganda on child soldiers and night commuters. Public response to the original release of the film led to the formation of the eponymous NGO to help those affected by the war. (International House, 7 p.m., free)

Wednesday / March 4

Relive the days when Martin Sheen was the President of the most powerful nation in the world at the West Wing study break sponsored by the UCDems. There will also be free pizza at the screening. (Bartlett, 6 p.m., free)

Thursday / March 5

The one and only Fleetwood Mac will be on tour for the first time in five years in anticipation of its first studio album in just as many years. In the meantime, you can get your Fleetwood Mac fix as Stevie Nicks and the rest of the band perform their greatest hits. (6920 Mannheim Road, Rosemont, 8 p.m., $49.50)