STD (Stuff to Do)—October 13, 2006

Friday, October 13

COUP is holding Blues and Ribs, its annual festival of tunes and chow, featuring Charlie Love, The Nightburners, and Nellie “Tiger” Travis and her Men in Black. The evening will be headlined, as always, by charcoal-grilled St. Louis Ribs and finger-lickin’ sides. (Ida Noyes Hall, 9 p.m., free)

For all you fashionistas out there, MODA is putting on its first presentation of the year, the MODA Trunk Show. Fashion designers from Chicago will be auctioning off their products. Raffles, food, and style will be had by all. (Hutch Commons, 7 p.m., Free)

For those of you who just can’t wait for Halloween, the Peter Jones Gallery opens its exhibit on Halloween Art this Friday. The exhibit will feature live bands, black magic, and ghoulish art from top artists. (Peter Jones Gallery, 1806 West Cuyler, 6 p.m., free)

Saturday, October 14

For those who aspire to learn the graceful and difficult martial art/dance of Capoeira, this is your weekend. Gingarte Capoeira presents an encounter with Capoeira master Urubu Malan. Workshop topics will include Capoeira, Samba, Afro-Brazilian Dance, and Afro-Brazilian percussion. (Ida Noyes Hall, Friday, 6 p.m. and Saturday, 11 a.m., free)

Students for Creative Anachronism will be hosting Life in the Middle Ages this Saturday. There will be crafts, sciences, arts and more from the Middle Ages, and even some duels using medieval styles of martial arts. It should be exciting and interesting, so long as you’re willing to go that deep into the geek forest. (Ida Noyes Hall, 9 a.m., free)

The Puerto Rican Students Association is sponsoring a Salsa Dance Party. This being the U of C, most people need a serious dose of rhythm in order to even think about dancing. Hence, there will be instruction sessions for beginners. Of course, you’ll have to compare yourself to some of the best dancers in Chicago, who will also be there. (International House, 6 p.m., free)

Sunday, October 15

Igor Beliy, a Russian poet, bard, musician, and creative organization founder, performs his work in a Sunday matinee concert at Ida Noyes Hall. It should be interesting for those Russianists out there. (Ida Noyes Hall, 2 p.m., $15 adult, $12 students and seniors)

Monday, October 16

Lily Allen, England’s current queen of pop, makes her Chicago premiere on her first-ever American tour. Her Myspace-made success has become a phenomenon in the music press world, and with the U.S. release of her first album looming, seeing her at the Double Door before she gains American fame will earn you a considerable amount of cred points. (Double Door, 8 p.m., 21+, $12)

Tuesday, October 17

Doc Films provides a special treat with a sneak preview of Volver, Pedro Almodóvar’s newest film. It’s gotten rave reviews on the festival circuit and is a front-runner for the Foreign Language Film Oscar. The movie won’t be released officially until November. Sony Pictures Classics co-President Michael Barker will be there to speak on the film. Passes are available at 6:30, so get there early. (Doc Films, 9 p.m., free)

Wednesday, October 18

Tomasz Stanko, the redoubtable Polish trumpeter in the midst of a late-career bloom, brings his outstanding quartet to Chicago for a stop on its American tour. Stanko’s new album Lontano smolders with nocturnal energy, moving between after-hours ballads and free-jazz eruptions. The Quartet’s last appearance in Chicago brought a sell-out crowd bursting with jazz enthusiasm and Polish nationalism. Two years later, expect the intensely cool Stanko to slay his many fans once again. (HotHouse, 31 East Balbo, 7 p.m. and 10 p.m., 21+, $10 Advance, $12 Door)

Argentine political theorist and post-Marxist superstar Ernesto Laclau delivers a lecture sponsored by “Critical Inquiry.” If your Wednesday needs a dash of Hegemony and Socialist Strategy, then this is a good bet. (Social Sciences 122, 4 p.m., free)

Thursday, October 19

For the past ten years, the Dave Holland Quintet has been one of the finest touring groups in jazz. The group, as tight as they come, has lately been exploring freer territory, revolving around Steve Nelson’s sparse but arresting vibes and Holland’s gently authoritative bass. Add in Chris Potter, one of the craftiest soloists in the business, and you have a bona-fide jazz supergroup. (Jazz Showcase, 59 W. Grand Ave., 8 p.m. and 10 p.m., 21+, $25)