Crime Report: February 17, 2009

This weeks’ Hyde Park crime.

February 7, 8:04 p.m.A 42-year-old man was approached by two male offenders on the 5400 block of South Hyde Park Boulevard who demanded money at knifepoint. The victim immediately ran across the street, and the offenders fled southbound. Officers responded to the area and arrested two male juveniles for attempted robbery; a knife was found on one of the offenders.February 9, 4:18 p.m.An elderly woman was approached by a female offender who appeared to display a handgun and demanded the victim’s purse on the 5400 block of South Lake Park Avenue. The offender fled southbound and was later discovered in the area. The weapon, which turned out to be a cigarette lighter in the shape of a handgun, was found and recovered. The alleged offender, 42-year-old Yvette Collins of the 8200 block of South Maryland Avenue, is also wanted on an outstanding warrant for possession of dangerous drugs.

February 14, 2:43 p.m.A 30-year-old female was walking on the 5400 block of South Dorchester Avenue when a male offender intentionally collided with her from behind, stole her purse, and fled southbound. The offender is described as black, 30–40 years old, with a medium build wearing a black cap, dark coat, jeans, and gym shoes. February 16, 9:20 p.m.A woman walking along the 1100 block of East 59th Street was struck from behind and pushed to the ground by a male offender. The suspect was described as six-feet tall, white or Hispanic, with bushy hair and wearing dark clothing. The man attempted to remove the victim’s pants. The woman escaped the man’s assault and, while running towards a nearby blue light phone, hailed a passing UCPD squad car and informed the officer of the attack.