University and student need

Two recent developments, the reform of the Shoreland and Broadview express bus ID policy and the introduction of academic minors in a variety of languages, represent attempts made by the University to improve the lives of its undergraduates. Both changes are heartening examples of the University responding to student need.

The changes being made to the express bus service are the direct results of the grassroots work of determined students. Students made an effort to take control of a situation that affect them, and the administration listened. The quick response of the administration reveals the strength that a well-organized student-led movement can have.

The new option to minor in a foreign language promises to increase the number of students with extensive knowledge of multiple languages. Students recognize that proficiency in a foreign language is an invaluable skill in today’s increasingly global workplace, yet not all students are interested in pursuing a degree in a foreign language or literature. The creation of language minors is an important first step towards extending official minors to other departments.

For students to have the best possible experience here, the University must stay abreast of student needs and demands. These two recent changes show that the University is doing its part to enhance student life and to adapt the College while still maintaining the integrity of its original mission.