Adedokun, Jaiswal, and McClure to Lead The Maroon in the 2023–24 Year

The 2023–24 Slate consists of Solana Adedokun and Nikhil Jaiswal as co–editors-in-chief, Michael McClure as managing editor, Allison Ho as chief production officer, and Dylan Zhang and Astrid Weinberg as chief financial officers.

(Left to Right) Nikhil Jaiswal, Solana Adedokun, Allison Ho, Michael McClure, Dylan Zhang, and Astrid Weinberg were elected the 2023-24 executive slate.

By Noah Glasgow

Third-years Solana Adedokun and Nikhil Jaiswal will become co–editors-in-chief of The Chicago Maroon, and fellow third-year Michael McClure will become managing editor.

The three incoming executives ran on a platform prioritizing long-term organizational stability at the paper’s election on Saturday. Adedokun, Jaiswal, and McClure also promised to foster cooperation between The Maroon’s different editorial sections. Both elections were uncontested.

“We, the editorial section, can do better,” McClure said.

Adedokun and Jaiswal will replace fourth-year Gage Gramlick, while McClure will replace fourth-year Yiwen Lu.

Adedokun, who will be the first African student and second Black student to serve as an editor-in-chief of The Maroon, promised to grow connections between The Maroon and other student organizations, particularly affinity groups, which she hopes will diversify The Maroon’s content and editorial perspectives.

Adedokun already serves as the editor-in-chief of The Maroon’s forthcoming Black History Month special issue, which platforms the writing and multimedia work of Black students at the University. She is an editor for The Maroon’s long-form section, Grey City, and a member of the editorial board.

McClure and Jaiswal have both come to their executive positions after being editors of The Maroon’s news section. McClure also serves as a copy chief, and both he and Jaiswal are members of the editorial board.

Jaiswal has led The Maroon’s recent coverage of efforts by University of Chicago graduate students to unionize. McClure, who has written for nearly all of the paper’s editorial sections, has covered topics as diverse as a Woodlawn dorm fire and a touring concert pianist.

Adedokun, Jaiswal, and McClure are close friends inside and outside The Maroon’s basement office in Ida Noyes.

The Maroon also elected second-year and current production editor Allison Ho as chief production officer. In her new role, Ho will oversee the production of The Maroon’s biweekly print issue. Her election was also uncontested.

Third-years Dylan Zhang and Astrid Weinberg were reelected chief financial officers of The Maroon in the third and final election of the afternoon, also uncontested. Zhang and Weinberg pledged to continue their goal of bringing The Maroon back to its pre–COVID-19 volume of advertising and revenue.