Making the Most of Your UChicago ID

On campus and across Hyde Park, there are numerous events and businesses where students can get in for free or take advantage of discounts.
Camelia Malkami
Hull Gate from the Joseph Regenstein Library.

From lectures to restaurants, there are a variety of free and discounted events across Hyde Park that students can take advantage of.

Many academic departments within the University host free lectures that do not require tickets or prior registration. For instance, the Division of Humanities offers lectures like the Randy L. and Melvin R. Berlin Family Lectures, focusing on classics. In April 2023, the Division of Humanities invited Mary Beard, a well-known classicist, to give three separate lectures discussing the importance of understanding Classics today. The department also hosts the Chicago Humanities Forum, which is open to the public free of cost. The Chicago Humanities Forum hosts three programs annually, where some of the University’s leading researchers are able to share their findings. Other departments, such as Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics, offer lecture and speaker events each week, both in person and via Zoom.

Students have access to the Career Advancement Office (CAO), which hosts events each quarter for different career paths and leads workshops to help students with internship and job application cycles. Every Monday and Wednesday at 3:30 p.m., CAO holds free résumé and cover letter workshops.

The University of Chicago Institute of Politics (IOP) invites a variety of speakers to give lectures and assembles panels for UChicago students and the public. For example, Nancy Pelosi, 52nd speaker of the United States House of Representatives, participated in a panel at the IOP on March 3.

UChicago has more than 450 Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs), some of which are dedicated to different career paths. The preprofessional RSOs range from Women in Business to the law fraternity Phi Alpha Delta (PAD), which offer free lectures and resources for their members. For example, PAD hosts weekly meetings, each featuring speakers from a variety of legal backgrounds, and provides resources and help with the Law School Admission Test.

The Smart Museum of Art and the Court Theatre are both located on the University’s campus and offer discounted admittance for UChicago students. The Smart Museum provides varying exhibitions for viewing and offers free admission for both UChicago students and the public. Additionally, the Smart Museum of Art offers the Art to Live With program, where students who live on-campus can borrow art pieces for their dorm rooms free of charge. The Court Theatre offers free tickets for students on Wednesday and Thursday nights, $20 tickets for students booking in advance, and $10 tickets for students who reserve within one hour of the start of the plays. Students can take advantage of these discounts at Court Theatre by providing their University of Chicago ID (UCID).

UChicago also offers varying discounts for students both in Hyde Park and throughout the city of Chicago. In Hyde Park, students have access to discounted prices at restaurants like Ascione Bistro, Saucy Porka and Harold’s; stores like Ace Hardware; and fitness studios including Yoga Six and Pure Barre. Outside of Hyde Park, students have access to discounted prices at local businesses and are granted an ArtsPass, which can be used throughout the city. For example, the ArtsPass provides students with a UCID free admission to The Art Institute of Chicago and $17 discounted tickets to the Chicago History Museum.