Voices STD (Stuff to Do)—March 30, 2007

Friday/ March 30

If you want to live the U of C even outside of Hyde Park, head on over to the Peter Jones Gallery to see Gray City, which closes this weekend. The play takes place at the U of C in the 1980s, and with constant allusions to Jimmy’s, Harper, and the Shoreland (which was still going strong back then), you’ll feel right at home even under the Irving Park Brown Line stop. (1806 West Cuyler Avenue, Friday at 8 p.m., Saturday at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., free for students)

Although Daniel Radcliffe won’t be starring in this production, you can see what the fuss is all about in a smaller-scale production of Equus, Peter Schaffer’s classic play about an institutionalized young boy who likes horses a bit too much and the psychiatrist who tries to sort the whole thing out. The man otherwise known as Harry Potter is currently receiving rave reviews for his performance in a London production of the play. (Actors Workshop Theatre, 8 p.m., $20 for students)

Saturday/ March 31

For a taste of South Asia, head on over to the SASA Cultural Show. Your ticket gets you a catered dinner and some great performances by students to promote Indian culture. The SASA show is always a campus favorite, and this year should be no different. If that’s not enough, there’s an afterparty at Orly’s. (Begins at Bartlett, 5 p.m., $12 for students)

Sunday/ April 1

It’s no joke: The Pacifica Quartet, Chicago Presents’s artists-in-residence, will be performing their final concert at Mandel. This time, they’ve brought along a friend: Stephen Beus will join them on stage for a rendition of Franck’s “Piano Quintet.” That’s after a little Beethoven to butter you up. This is your last chance to see Chicago’s premiere classical group as they perform right under your nose. (Mandel Hall, 3 p.m., $5 for students.)

Monday/ April 2

They’re one of the biggest alternative rock acts around, and they’ve brought a couple of promising young rock bands with them. Snow Patrol comes to town, fresh off their recent Saturday Night Live and South by Southwest appearances, and their fan base, like it or not, only continues to grow. Chicago’s own OK Go will tag along and should be very excited to play in front of the home crowd. The opening act is The Silversun Pickups, who received considerable attention and Smashing Pumpkins comparisons after last year’s debut, Carnavas. (Aragon Ballroom, 7 p.m., $27.50)

Tuesday/ April 3

After being the only contestant not to hear “You’re fired” from the mouth of Donald Trump on The Apprentice, Randall Pickett is on top of the world. With a Ph.D. from MIT and three other post-collegiate degrees, a Rhodes scholarship, and his own multibillion-dollar company in addition to his Trump gig, Pickett fully earned the title “Campus CEO.” Coincidentally, that happens to be the title of his first book, which he will be reading from at the University Bookstore. (University of Chicago Bookstore, 3:30 p.m., free)

For something more on the bizarre side, hit up the Cloister Club for Rubber Tit, a jazz/dance/sculpture performance piece featuring performance artist Tari Ito and saxophonist MASA. The title refers to a prop central to the piece, which explores feminist, lesbian, and human rights issues. The artists have performed all over the world, and everyone from the Japan Committee to the Center for Gender Studies is sponsoring the event. (Cloister Club, Ida Noyes Hall, 6:30 p.m., free)

Wednesday/ April 4

The U of C and Doc Films will be at the center of Chicago’s film scene when the Chicago International Documentary Festival graces the halls of Max Palevsky Cinema. The screenings will continue through Saturday, but be sure to catch the first night’s film, The Murder of Fred Hampton, which chillingly revisits the murder of a Black Panthers member by the CPD. It’s one of the darker moments of 20th century Chicago history, and is required viewing for any South Side resident. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 9 p.m., $7 for students)

Thursday/ April 5

A giant of American blues may be giving his last performance in the Windy City, and somehow, tickets are still available. Still going strong in his 82nd year, B.B. King will be coming to Chicago. While he has been giving mixed messages on the subject, King has hinted that this could very well be his farewell tour. If his 14 Grammys and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame berth aren’t enough, a rousing performance in one of the blues capitals of the world should more than satisfy any self-respecting music fan. (House of Blues, 7:30 p.m., 21+, $75)