Just win, baby

With three down and just two left to be awarded, the U of C is on the verge of being shut out of this year’s Nobel prizes for the third straight year. Philip Roth (pictured at right looking pensive), who earned his M.A. in English here, was as good a bet as any to take the award for Literature this year, but the committee instead opted to honor the British writer Doris Lessing. Reached for comment while grocery shopping (seriously), Lessing offered these immortal words. From the Washington Post:

“Oh Christ!” she said, when told about the monumental honor. “I couldn’t care less.”

She expands on her thoughts later with this gem:

“I’m 88 years old and they can’t give the Nobel to someone who’s dead, so I think they were probably thinking they’d probably better give it to me now before I’ve popped off.”

Word.I’ll admit, I’ve never read any of Lessing’s work, and while I’m sure she is deserving of the award–her name has been on the short list for years, now–my first impression is that she seems like the kooky old lady down the street who always bakes cookies and smells like cats, and calls you by a different name every time she sees you.As for the rest of the Nobels, barring an unprecedented upset (Paul Wolfowitz, anyone?) the Peace Prize seems out of the question as usual, leaving Economics as the last chance. Marginal Revolution points to Eugene Fama, a GSB alum and finance professor as a contender. The winner will be announced October 15.