Voices STD

Friday May 10th

Did you like Welcome to the Doll House? I didn’t. And I really didn’t like Happiness. But curiosity keeps me going, so I’m probably going to end up at Doc tonight checking out Storytelling, the new movie by Todd Solondz (who directed the aforementioned movies). Plus, who doesn’t want to see a black man have anal sex with a bleached-blonde Selma Blair? Before that though, I plan on checking out this week’s installment of Off Off and the Riddle of the Sphinx: this week we’re going to learn “What happens after college?” and if it’s anywhere near as funny as last weeks “water ballet” then it’s more than worth the price of admission, which in this case is four bucks. Plus, Lydia Zacher is going to be telling her life story, set to music of course, starting at 8:15 p.m. Also going on tonight: UT is presenting In It For The Love, the second night of their evening of one acts, which includes The General of Hot Desire by John Guare and WASP by Steve Martin, and is being held in the Francis X. Kinahan third floor theater of the Reynolds Club at 8. But if you prefer young composers to young thespians then you should check out the Annual Young Composers Concert being held, for free I might add, in the Chicago Cultural Center’s Claudia Cassidy Theater (or the CCCCCT) on 78 East Washington Street. And if you want to be educated, rather than entertained, check out the Human Rights Film Festival. The focus of this year’s documentary films is “The Rights of the Child” and the festival will examine the global state of children’s human rights. Films from all over the world, including the U.S., will present the problems of child labor and abuse, child prostitution, child slavery, child soldiers and juvenile justice systems, as well as the steps that have been taken to combat these issues. The festival lasts three days, and all the films are screened in Cobb 307.

Saturday, May 11th

If you have yet to drop by, today from nine till noon is your last chance to buy some cheap books from the Divinity School. Get to the third floor of Swift while there are still nifty books to buy. And tonight is also your last night to get In It For The Love on the third floor of the Reynolds Club. The last performance of this particular collection of one-acts starts, as usual, at 8 p.m. But there is so much more going on today. Firstly, Skiffy, the Science Fiction Club invites you to a Day of Games from noon till 8 p.m. in rooms 202 and 204 in Cobb. “Bring games or just bring yourself. All are welcome, all games are taught.” So consider yourself invited. Are you a Francophile? If so you might want to check out the one-day conference “Committed to Memory: French History, Past and Present” which is being presented today at the Alliance Française de Chicago at 54 West Chicago Avenue, starting at 9:45 p.m. It’s recommended you register in advance ($10) by calling the Alliance at (312) 337-1070. There are also two frat “things” going on today. Fiji Island, which will include skits, BBQ, and live music beings at noon and doesn’t seem to stop, is being held at Fiji. And Voodoo Slush, with Vance Kelly, is playing at midnight at Psi U. But to hell with all of that, what is really important is that you go to Doc tonight. If you haven’t noticed, the weekends this quarter are called Wet Hot American Doc. There is a reason, and tonight is that reason. Doc is showing the publicly ignored but possibly great Wet Hot American Summer. Very few movies in the past year have moved me to say, “Wow, that was a really awesome movie.” This is one of those movies. See if for Janeane Garofalo or see it because it’s really funny. Or don’t see it and see if I care. Just don’t say I didn’t recommend it to you profusely

Sunday May 12th

FOTA starts today. For info check out fota.uchicago.edu. The Scav Hunt ends. And MaxFest in Doc begins. The man who put up the money for the monstrosity on 56th is going to be in town, and is showing some of his favorite movies. Tonight we get Badlands at seven and Annie Hall at nine. And hey, tickets are half off. Today is also the last day of the Human Rights Film Festival.

Monday May 13th

Not much today, though there will be a lecture entitled “Beyond The Business Plan: What is Entrepreneurship?” being given by Professor Steven Kaplan. It starts at 4 in Haper 103, it’s free, and there will be beverages provided by Pepsi Cola. And then for your slow Monday news controversy we have a talk being given in Hutch at 8 tonight by Dinesh D’Souza on “The Superiority of American Civilization.” His talk is being sponsored by the College Republicans. And, since this is a college campus with lots of different views, there will be the requisite protest being held in Hutch at 7:30 against D’Souza by the Spartacist League/Spartacus Youth Club. Um, yeah.

Tuesday May 14th

There are two religious events today. At four in the Newberger Hillel Center there will be a discussion with Rabbi Paul Saiger on “Judaism and the Death Penalty.” Refreshments will be served. At 4:30 in Social Science 122 Brian Daley, S.J., will be discussing “The Gospel and Greek Culture: the Humanism of St. Gregory of Zazianzen.” And after all of that fun is over, Doc is showing yet another awesome movie in their Modern Texas series. If you are a David Byrne fan, or maybe just like the Talking Heads, or just like interesting things in general, you really want to check out True Stories tonight. There really is nothing quite like it. Plus, any movie with John Goodman, Swoozie Kurtz and Spalding Grey is worth checking out in my book. Oh, and there is definitely a new episode of Buffy tonight. And for anyone who is counting, the day is almost over for 24.

Wednesday May 15th

Fargo is at Doc tonight. You either liked it or you didn’t. Most people liked it.

Thursday May 16th

“9/11: Its Causes and Consequences” continues today in the International House at 7. Tonight’s lecture concerns “Universal Human Rights and the Islamic Middle East: Culture or Cultural Relativism.” And if you prefer your culture beaten to a pulp, well, Conan the Barbarian is at Doc tonight. Oh, and UT’s production of The Egg begins in the first floor theater of the Reynolds Club.

Friday May 17th

The Egg continues in the Reynolds Club. Doc is showing “the-movie-that-was-good-for-a-while-but-now-just-won’t-get-out-of-my-life,” Pulp Fiction. And Off Off continues their really funny run. Oh, and there will be a lecture at 4 today in Social Science 122 on “Education and Agricultural Productivity” given by Finis Welch, Ph.D. ’66. Reception will follow in the Tea Room, Social Sciences 201.

Got anything to give to Voices STD?

Just email your stuff to Garth at garthj@uchicago.edu and it will probably get in.