Voices STD (Stuff to Do)—April 7, 2006

Friday, April 7

I don’t know if they’ll be as hot as DiCaprio and Danes—or even Whiting and Hussey—but a few bucks is worth it to see a rendition of this classic. Take in Romeo and Juliet, presented by the Dean’s Men in the Reynold’s Club Francis X. Kinahan Third Floor Theater. ($5 in advance, $8 at the door. 8 p.m.)

Get prepped for the Dance Marathon by learning bhangra at the SASA Bhangra Party. (free, Ida Noyes Cloister Club, 8:30-11 p.m.)

Alternately, skank at the Logan Square Auditorium to the Unseen, the Casualties, and Anti-Flag. ($15, 2539 North Kedzie Avenue, 6 p.m.)

If ska isn’t your thing, the Dresden Dolls—an absurdist duo who call themselves “Brechtian punk cabaret”—play the late show at the Metro tonight. Go for the surreal costumes and stage antics, if nothing else. ($16, 18+, 3730 North Clark Street, 11 p.m.)

Saturday, April 8

Still looking for a place to live next year? Nodorm is hosting their annual UChicago Apartment Fair today. Building managers will be on hand to chat about apartment options. If you sign up to view an apartment at the fair and follow through by signing a lease, there’s a good chance you’ll get a discounted rate. (free, Reynold’s Club, 12-4 p.m.)

If you have any free time today, head to Ratner to support your friends at the Dance Marathon. Even though it’s too late to sign up as a dancer, there’ll be performances, games, and lessons spread out over 12 hours, plus a raffle with pretty swank prizes. Dancers raise at least $10 per hour for pediatric AIDS research, too. (free, Ratner, 2 p.m. to 2 a.m.)

If dancing isn’t your thing, maybe you should try rock climbing. Get a head start for the summer—learn how to construct various kinds of anchors at the Climbing Anchor Clinic being held today at the Point. Visit oac.cliffgear.com/docs/OAC/AnchorClinic for more info. (free, Promontory Point, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)

To hell with athleticism, you say? Join the audience instead—and grab a meal while you’re at it. “Life in Stereo… Adjusting the Dial,” the 2006 OBS Cultural Show, takes place tonight. ($10 for dinner, show, and after party, Reynold’s Club, 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.)

For something a little more…shall we say, junior high… try the Rob Zombie show at the Aragon Ballroom. I hear he shaved his dreads off and is now blond. A moment, please. ($33.50, 1106 West Lawrence Avenue, 7 p.m.)

Chicago Filmmakers’ Dyke Delicious film series presents Gia! Gia! Gia!, which splices documentary footage of the late supermodel Gia Carangi with scenes from the 1998 Gia TV movie with Angelina Jolie. This will definitely be as cool as it sounds. ($10, $9 for students, $6 for Chicago Filmmakers members, 5243 North Clark Street, 7 p.m. social hour, 8 p.m. screening)

Sunday, April 9

Feeling a little nostalgic for winter already? Today marks your last chance to visit the wonderland that is Yutaka Sone’s Forecast: Snow at the Renaissance Society. (free, 5811 South Ellis Avenue, 12 to 5 p.m.)

Three of Andy Warhol’s most erotically charged short films—Kiss, Eat, and Couch—play at the MCA this evening. ($7, $5 for members, 220 East Chicago Avenue, 7:30 p.m.)

Monday, April 10

Brighten up your Monday by checking out the latest exhibit at the Smart Museum. Procrastination can’t be so bad if it’s intellectual, right? GRAPHIKÉ: Writing/Drawing in the Ancient World deals with the inclusion of written words into Greek, Roman, and Egyptian art. By the time you’ve strolled through the whole exhibit, you’ll be so thankful for your modern laptop that writing that response paper will be a breeze. (free, 5550 South Greenwood Avenue, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.)

Ever wonder what it’s like to be president of a country? To be forced to resign after a little over a year in a sudden, violent uprising? Jamil Mahuad, former president of Ecuador, gives a public policy address called “In the President’s Shoes” at the Harris School today. (free, 1155 East 60th Street, noon)

Tuesday, April 11

At “Misery and Metonymy: The Art of H.G. Adler,” Peter Filkins will discuss his research and translation of Adler’s novel Eine Reise (A Journey), about a Jewish family en route to a concentration camp. Filkins is a professor of English at Simon’s Rock College of Bard—don’t even try to tell me that isn’t the most awesome college moniker ever. (free, Rosenwald 405, 4:30 p.m.)

Wednesday, April 12

Slovenian philosopher, cultural theorist, and visiting Critical Inquiry professor Slavoj iek gives a talk entitled “The Ignorance of Chicken, or, Who Believes What Today.” This man is amazing. He writes about the thingliness of things and once provided the text for an Abercrombie and Fitch catalogue, including gems like this: “This now of the peaceful satisfaction is to her infinitely preferable to the prospect of copulation.’’ Never mind that I personally haven’t understood a single word I’ve read by him—there’s a reason I’m not a philosophy major. (free, Social Sciences 122, 4 p.m.)

Afterwards, get into physical media studies at Hallowed Grounds, where Doc Films volunteers will demonstrate the technicalities of projecting movies and screen a 16mm silent film. (free, Hallowed Grounds, 9 p.m.)

Thursday, April 13

Sexy Emily Haines leads Metric through catchy tunes from their latest CD, Live it Out, at the Metro tonight. They’re joined by the Elected and From Fiction. ($12, 3730 North Clark Street, 7 p.m.)

Have an event you’d like to see in STD? Send an e-mail to steffers@uchicago.edu