Stuff to Do (STD)—5/8/09 to 5/14/09

Kara Walker, Sci-Fi Spectacular, and Notorious—the Cary Grant version.

Friday / May 8If you’re suddenly wondering where all the time went with American Idol down to its top three contestants, relive the entire experience at the Asian Students Union’s Chicago Idol 2009. Fifteen finalists will compete for a $500 cash prize and the title of 2009 Chicago Idol. Recording contract not included. (Hutch Commons, 6 p.m., free)Blind jazz pianist and Wynton Marsalis protégé Marcus Roberts delivers a live performance of his second studio album, Deep in the Shed: A Blues Suit tonight. Roberts’ performance will be backed by a six-piece band and will feature his unique improvisations that draw on the work of jazz greats. (220 South Michigan Avenue, 8 p.m., $24)Saturday / May 9 Get your sci-fi on at the Music Box Theatre’s third annual Sci-Fi Spectacular. Twelve straight hours of science fiction films will be screened, including 2001: A Space Odyssey, War of the Worlds (the 1953 version, not the one starring Tom Cruise), and Planets of the Apes, among others. Gary Lockwood, who played Dr. Frank Poole in 2001: A Space Odyssey, will be giving a Q&A session as well. (3733 North Southport Avenue, 12 p.m., $24)The Indian Classical Music Society sponsors a sitar concert featuring up-and-coming sitar virtuoso Sugato Nag accompanied by tabla player Subrata Bhattacharya tonight. Nag received his master’s degree in engineering, and is known for using PowerPoint presentations and other electronic elements in his performances. (International House, 6:30 p.m., $10) Sunday / May 10The University Chorus and Motet Choir performs a set of choral Jewish music at the fourth annual Sim Shalom concert. Sim Shalom is a Hebrew blessing that is recited at all Jewish prayer services. (Rockefeller Chapel, 5 p.m., free)Monday / May 11The life of Leopold Weiss, an Austrian who converted to Islam and changed his name to Muhammad Asad, is chronicled in Georg Misch’s A Road to Mecca: The Journey of Muhammad Asad. Misch traces Asad’s transformation from Austrian Jew to co-founder of Pakistan and one of the first Pakistani ambassadors to the United Nations. (Gene Siskel Film Center, 164 North State Street, 8 p.m., $7) Tuesday / May 12Contemporary artist Kara Walker discusses her works on race, gender, sexuality, and identity with associate curator of the Renaissance Society, Hamza Walker, at the Centers for Gender/Race Studies. Walker (the artist, not the curator) is known for her larger-than-life paper silhouette cut-outs that explore contemporary racial issues. (5733 South University Avenue, 12 p.m., free) Wednesday / May 13Learn all about the lives of crusaders in Syria, Turkey, Cyprus and Greece at a lecture entitled Archaeology of the Crusades, given by archaeologist Scott Redford. Redford has all the dirt on the 12th and 13th century crusaders, including what they ate, how they conducted warfare, and more. (Oriental Institute, 7 p.m., free)Doc Films will screen Notorious tonight—not the Notorious B.I.G biopic released last year, but the 1946 Alfred Hitchcock film starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. The movie centers on a love triangle complicated by international espionage. Be sure to look out for director Hitchcock’s cameo about an hour into the film. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 9:15 p.m., $5) Thursday / May 14Learn all about the plight of the millions of hungry people around the world over a sumptuous dinner at the Hunger Banquet, sponsored by the Giving Tree. Diane Doherty, executive director of the Illinois Hunger Coalition, will be the guest of honor. (Harper 103, 6:30 p.m., free)