STD (Stuff To Do) 4/17/09-4/23/09

The Blackhawks, Wong Fu, and Chris Matthews

4/17 FRIDAY

A founding member of the radical feminist group The Guerrilla Girls will be talking about the group’s use of comedy and graphics to expose underlying currents of sexism and racism in media, politics, and pop culture. Don’t expect to be able to recognize your favorite Guerilla Girl; members often wear gorilla masks and use the identities of deceased female artists at public events. (International House, 6:30 p.m., free)

When Gary Sinise is not portraying Detective Mac Taylor on CSI: New York, he also heads the Lt. Dan Band, named after Sinise’s character in Forrest Gump. The band only plays fundraisers and covers everything from Linkin Park to Aretha Franklin. See them at the benefit for the U.S. Vietnam Project. (940 W. Weed St., 8:30 p.m., $20, 21+)

As part of the 2009 V-Day College Campaign, the students of University of Chicago are proud to present a benefit production of The Vagina Monologues to raise awareness and funds for local organizations working to end violence against women and girls. (First Floor Theater, 4 p.m. and 8 p.m., $8).

4/18 SATURDAY

Go behind the scenes of the Oriental Institute and learn the secrets of its famous artifacts, such as the 17-foot long statue of King Tut. Afterwards, participate in an actual archeological dig, all without ever leaving the confines of Hyde Park. Indiana Jones would be jealous. Space is limited, so be sure to register online at www.sciencechicago.com. (Oriental Institute, 1:30 p.m., $7)

For the first time since 2002, the Chicago Blackhawks qualify for the NHL playoffs. The formerly lackluster team secured a fourth place ranking in the Western Conference and will be playing the Calgary Flames in the first round of the playoffs. Winning this game is only the first step in bringing home the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1961. (1901 W. Madison St., 8 p.m., $25)

4/19 SUNDAY

Quartet-in-residence The Pacifica Quartet will be joined by saxophonist Eric Rönmark in a performance of contemporary composer Ellen Taaffe Zwilich’s piece for quartet and saxophone. Other featured pieces, although saxophone-less, include Haydn’s “Quartet in D Major” and Mendelssohn’s “Quartet No. 3.” (Mandel Hall, 3 p.m., $12)

4/20 MONDAY

If you’re not entangled in midterms, be sure to attend the Harris School of Public Policy’s mini-course “The Economics of Global Warming.” The first part in a three-part series of lectures given by visiting professor Roger Guesnerie is titled “The Climate Problem and its Economic Side” and will focus on the economic regulation of greenhouse gas emission. Register online at harrisschool.uchicago.edu. (Harris School, 12 p.m., free)

4/21 TUESDAY

Ever since its founding in 2003, Wong Fu Productions has voiced the laments of the lonely Asian boy in the corner. The internet sensation’s newest films will be screened as part of the PanAsian student association’s Spring Festival. A Q&A session as well as a meet-and-greet with the founding trio will immediately follow. (5710 S. Woodlawn Ave., 7 p.m., free)

4/22 WEDNESDAY

In what is sure to be an inflammatory event, Chris Matthews will interview Tucker Carlson, Arianna Huffington, and Paul Begala in the 2009 Speaker Series at the Chicago Theatre. This is the second part of a three part series sponsored by the Chicago Council on Global Affairs. (175 N. State St., 7:30 p.m., $35)

4/23 THURSDAY

As part of the Earth Week festivities, the Sustainability Council will be holding various sustainability workshops throughout the week. Thursday’s workshop is on vermiculture and is led by self-proclaimed “Worm Girl” Cecelia Ungari. Learn the finer details of composting with worms on a bright, warm Chicago day. The event will be held in the Reynolds Club if the weather proves uncooperative. (Swift Hall Quad, 1 p.m., free)