STD (Stuff to Do)—April 24 through April 30

Beyonce, Britney Spears, and Dance Marathon are highlights of the week.

Friday / April 24

Chilean-American and winner of the MacArthur Foundation Genius Grant Camilo Vergara showcases his latest collection of photographs, an exploration of the development and transformation of Harlem. He will also discuss his work in the context of Harlem’s growth with sociologist Mario Small. (5733 South University Avenue, noon, free)

Usher in the start of spring while it is still nice out with Chicago a cappella’s “Chansons d’Amour: April in Paris.” This showcase of French songs will range from works by the masters to contemporary French pop songs. (38 South Peoria Street, 8 p.m., $10)

Saturday / April 25

Cheer on your friends at the 12-hour Dance Marathon, which wraps up at 2 a.m. Sunday morning. Aside from marathon dancers, there will also be performances by campus dance and a cappella groups. Proceeds from the show will be donated to The Children’s Place Association. (Ida Noyes, 2 p.m., free but a donation is appreciated)

World-renowned bassist Edgar Meyer will join the 100-piece University Symphony Orchestra for a performance of both contemporary and classical pieces. Featured pieces include Brahms’ “Variations on a Theme by Haydn” as well as Meyer’s own “Concerto No. 1 in D Major for Double Bass and Orchestra.” (Mandel Hall, 8 p.m., $5)

Sunday / April 26

Chicago native Jennifer Hudson will be giving her first performance in Chicago since the death of her family members. The murders, which occurred last October, put a hiatus on Hudson’s promotion of her eponymous studio album. She will appear with sexy crooner Robin Thicke. (2301 South Lake Shore Drive, 7:30 p.m., $49.50)

Learn more about the Fair Trade movement at the Fair Trade Market, sponsored by KAM’s Social Justice Committee. The Fair Trade movement aims at ensuring that workers and communities are paid fair wages while protecting the environment. Snack on samples of chocolate, coffee, fruits, and many other Fair Trade foods from around the world while supporting this cause. Go to www.chicagofairtrade.org for more information. (1100 East Hyde Park Boulevard., 10:30 a.m., free)

Monday / April 27

The Vice President of Public Affairs at Exxon Mobile will be on hand for a joint colloquium with the Franck Institute, the University of Chicago Energy Initiative, and the Computation Institute on “Issues and Priorities for Energy.” The discussion is part of a series on energy in the 21st century. (5807 South Woodlawn Avenue, 4:45 p.m., free)

Tuesday / April 28

The inspiration behind the HBO hit Flight of the Conchords will be appearing live and in-person at the Arie Crown Theater. The real Flight of the Conchords band, which touts itself as New Zealand’s “fourth-most popular guitar-based digi-bongo a cappella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo” is on tour to celebrate the end of the second season of its television show. (2301 South Lake Shore Drive, 7:30 p.m., $38.50)

She may lip-synch through the entire show, but there is no doubt that Britney is back. Spears is currently on her “Circus” world tour to promote the album with the same title. The Pussycat Dolls will open for the formerly troubled pop star. (6920 North Mannheim Road, Rosemont, IL, 8 p.m., $39.50)

Wednesday / April 29

The Film Studies Center presents a screening of Max Ophuls’s 1948 Letter From an Unknown Woman tonight. Set in turn-of-the-century Vienna, the film tells the story of a young woman’s unrequited love for an oblivious concert pianist. Woman is a classic example of the Hollywood “woman’s film,” shot in haunting chiaroscuro by Franz Planer. (Cobb Hall 307, 7 p.m., free)

Thursday / April 30

Just because Beyoncé sang her song at President Obama’s inauguration ball doesn’t mean that Etta James is dead and gone. Instead, the 71-year-old jazz great started a war of words with the young pop singer and went on a nation-wide tour. She will be appearing at the House of Blues. (329 North Dearborn Avenue, 7:30 p.m., $47.50)