Kill Obscurity

As if the U of C wasn’t scary enough…

So it’s Halloween time and you haven’t got any trick-or-treat plans yet? You could always trick-or-treat in Hyde Park, but personally, I’m tired of egging my profs’ houses and getting ramen in my basket from the other students. So here’s some off-campus things you can do this Halloweek.

You can go see Evil Dead! The Musical at the RowHouse Theatre on 1138 West Ainslie Street. Take the Red Line to the Argyle or Lawrence stop. Shows are $15 Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 P.M. Think campy, campy, campy. For more info call (773) 989-4515.

Interested in a Halloween parade and costume contest? What better place to go than Belmont and Halsted? Get dressed up and take the Red Line to the Belmont stop. The parade is Thursday, October 31. The Sixth Annual North Halsted Street Halloween Parade is presented by the Triangle Neighbors Association. Register your costume at Spin at 6 P.M. The parade starts at 7 P.M. Cash and prizes for the best adult, kid, and pet costumes.

Combining three of my favorite things (dessert, Halloween, and S&M), Sugar: A Dessert Bar hosts its Homage to the Marquis de Sade Halloween Fete. Waitresses dressed up as dominatrices bring on the cocktails and the sweets created by chef Christine McCabe (formerly of Charlie Trotter’s), with special treats just for Halloween. There’s no cover, but expect to spend $8-$15 on treats. The Homage to the Marquis de Sade Fete is October 31 from 5 P.M. to 2 A.M. Take the Red Line to the Grand stop and head to 108 West Kinzie Street. Call (312) 822-9999 for more info.

Also, check out the Día de los Muertos: A Feast Day for the Souls exhibition at the Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum. Check out the demonstrating artists who make sugar skulls and papier-mâché from 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. Tuesdays through Sundays. Also participate in the Communal Ofrenda to María Félix on Saturday, November 2 at 12 P.M. Participate in creating an ephemeral ofrenda to the late Mexicana actress. Bring objects such as fruits, flowers, drinks, candles, photos, or Day of the Dead bread and add them to the shrine. The ofrenda is just on Saturday, but the exhibition runs until December 8. The museum is at 1852 West. 19th Street. To get there, take the Blue Line train (Cermak Branch, 18th Street, Monday through Friday), or the CTA bus (#18 16th Street/18th Street, #50 Damen). For more info call (312) 738-1503.

There’s plenty more events than can be covered here so go out, have fun, OD on sugar, and pretend to be something other than a U of C student for a day.