Order of the C highlights Tamillow, Hogan: Sports Shorts 5/19/06

Tradition is alive and well in Hyde Park as the Order of the C hosted its 103rd annual banquet at the International House Tuesday. Fourteen Maroons stood out among the dozens of honorees at the nation’s longest-running collegiate men’s organization event with awards for their athletic and academic achievements.

Capping off a season chock full of accolades, fourth-year Rob Tamillow received the Amos Alonzo Stagg Medal as the senior with the best all-around record for athletics, scholarship, and character. The defensive tackle wrapped up his Chicago career raking in the honors on both the national and league levels. An All-American and the UAA Defensive Player of the Year, Tamillow also earned a selection to play in the Aztec Bowl against team Mexico.

A star on the track and in the classroom, fourth-year distance runner Pat Hogan walked home with the Mary Jean Mulvaney Scholar-Athlete Award. This honor goes to the senior with at least three varsity letters who compiled the highest GPA over his third and fourth years.

Following Hogan to the podium, teammate second-year decathlon Zach Rodgers garnered the Ted Haydon Medal, which is presented to the track and field athlete who scored the most points at the UAA indoor and outdoor championship meets.

Fourth-year pitcher Dan Yeksigian received the J. Kyle Anderson Award as a senior baseball player who distinguished himself on the field while displaying exemplary character, leadership, integrity, and dedication to his team throughout his career.

Second-year fifth singles player Bharath Sithian and fourth-year forward Jon Todd earned top honors in tennis and basketball. The Max Davidson Award went to Sithian for dedication to his team and sport, while Todd captured the Joseph A. Stampf Award for his commitment to high values and integrity as expressed by his relationship to teammates and coaches.

Rounding out the night’s awards, MVP nods went to Yeksigian in baseball, Rodgers in outdoor track and field, third-year guard Brandon Woodhead in basketball, fourth-year Teage O’Connor in cross country, fourth-year defensive back Colin Carrier in football, fourth-year midfielder Giordano Palloni in soccer, first-year Shane Carlson in swimming, fourth-year first singles player Ward Bortz in tennis, third-year distance runner Emil Bojanov in indoor track and field, and third-year 165-pounder Mike Bishof in wrestling.