Lousiana Elects New Governor

It doesn’t seem like we’ve heard anything about the Louisiana Governor’s race–which seems surprising

It doesn’t seem like we’ve heard anything about the Louisiana Governor’s race–which seems surprising, particularly in the wake of Katrina–but it happened, and Republican Bobby Jindal won.A couple interesting things:1) Louisiana has weird election rules, which place every candidate on the same primary ticket, no matter the party. Then, if no one gets more than 50% (in this case Jindal got 53%), there is a run-off between the top two finishers. This is kind of cool/weird way to have elections; it’s also way more effective than plurality voting–then again nearly every other method of voting is–in determining voters’ preferences. Unfortunately this is the last year of the “jungle primary” (it even has a cool name) in LA.2) Jindal is the first Indian-American every elected governor. I don’t mean to be a right-wing “there’s a liberal media” type, but why is this such a non-story? When Democrat Keith Ellison was the first Muslim elected to Congress last year the media were falling over themselves to make it national news. (To be fair, the election just happened, so I can’t really say that it’s a non-story yet–and the election results certainly have been national news–but compare the lead up to this election to the lead-up to Ellison’s election. This is especially revealing considering this is the only election going on, while Ellison’s victory occurred along with all the other 2008 elections.)