My first entry: Thompson in ’08?

Despite being Viewpoints Editor for this last quarter, I am just now getting into the blogging game.

Despite being Viewpoints Editor for this last quarter, I am just now getting into the blogging game.This somewhat late start can be chalked up to a combination of Alec’s technical incompetence (just kidding) and my forgetfulness.Anyway, let me start off my blogging career by talking about the ’08 presidential election: It seems like Fred Thompson is officially unofficially running for President. What does this mean for conservatives? Not much. Thompson seems like just more of the same; like John McCain he support campaign finance reform, and like everyone else–apart from Giuliani–he opposes abortion rights. And like everyone else–apart from Ron Paul–he doesn’t seem to care much about small-government, conservative principles. In particular, Thompson wrote a Townhall column complaining about the “chip[ping] away at the traditional powers of the president.” Really? The President is losing power?Thompson concludes by asking rhetorically, “Regardless of who wins the White House, don’t we need a strong president?” No, we don’t, and any true conservative understands why.