Sport Short 5/18/07: UAA, Order of the C honor Maroons

Letting the Maroons boast a quartet of honorees for the second week in a row, four athletes garnered UAA Athlete of the Week recognition Tuesday. Two of the winners were also crowned their teams’ most valuable players at Tuesday’s Order of the C banquet.

Fourth-year third baseman Allen Cooper and classmate pitcher Dan Cozzi netted their titles on the heels of last week’s season-ending 11–4 victory over North Central. The win handed the program its eighth consecutive .500-or-better season and was marked by contributions all around by the team’s four starting seniors.

Pacing the squad with 23 RBIs this season, Cooper (.333 BA) took home the UAA’s award for his three-for-five effort in the finale. He stroked three singles in the matchup, coming around to score twice and sending another home.

Cozzi (6–2), named baseball’s MVP at the Order of the C spring dinner Tuesday, led the Maroons in wins this spring and posted a 3.60 ERA. The righty earned the league’s accolades after letting only five hits and two earned runs slip by as he finished his career on the mound last week against the Cardinals.

Also dubbed his team’s best asset at the banquet, fourth-year Emil Bojanov punched his ticket to NCAAs with an automatic qualifying time of 3:50.25 in the 1,500-meter run at the Dr. Keeler Invitational last Friday. He finished fourth in a field of 71 runners, and his time brings him to within two seconds of the top slot in Chicago’s record books, a mark that has gone unchallenged for 28 years. Bojanov has two more shots to cement his name at the top of Chicago’s record books with this week’s North Central Invitational and Memorial Day Weekend’s Nationals.

Rounding out this week’s conference standouts, women’s track and field fourth-year Abby Sheldon earned notice with a gold finish in the 10,000-meter at Dr. Keeler. Sheldon not only reached the NCAA provisional standard, she posted the best finish in Maroon history. With a time of 36:43.41, she eclipsed the old mark of 35:28.97 established in 2004.