Fourth-year athlete earns fraternity honors

The Phi Delta Theta fraternity headquarters recently awarded fourth-year James Viccaro the Harmon-Rice-Davis award, presented to the most outstanding undergraduate student athlete in the international fraternity. The award is determined by GPA, chapter involvement, scholarship, and school activities.

“The whole chapter is really proud of him,” said fourth-year Barney Keller, the Phi Delta Theta president. “There is no one in the house that is more deserving.”

Viccaro is a member of the men’s varsity swim team, where he was named an Academic All-American in 2005 and named to the All-UAA academic team in 2005 and 2006. He also holds top-10 school times in the 50-meter freestyle, 100-meter freestyle, and 100-meter breaststroke.

Outside of the pool, Viccaro has served as the Phi Delta Theta rush chair and is currently serving as treasurer. He is an active member of the Blue Chips, a student investment club.

Next year, Viccaro, an economics major, will be working in fixed-income trading for Goldman-Sachs in New York City.

Both Viccaro and Keller expressed hope that the award would reflect well on the U of C chapter of Phi Delta Theta.

“[The award] will hopefully let people know that our chapter is conducive for producing interesting and actively involved guys,” Viccaro said.

Nominated by the members of his chapter, Viccaro is the first Harmon-Rice-Davis award-winner from the University of Chicago.

Officials from the international Phi Delta office will present the award at the Phi Delta Theta house within the next few weeks.