Conference taps 40 for All-UAA honors

With the 2005 fall season totally in the books, the UAA has completed the task of recognizing those Maroons who stood out from the crowd in conference competition. Unsurprisingly, the final list of Chicago league all-stars was a long one.

The league-champion football team led the way with 22 All-UAA selections, part of a crew of 40 total all-conference picks. Men’s soccer was next with six, followed by women’s soccer with four. Volleyball brought up the rear with two members. Three men’s cross country runners earned their way on to the team with their performance at the league meet, as did three members of the women’s cross-country squad.

Fourth-year defensive tackle Rob Tamillow was named Defensive Player of the Year and made the first team, taking leading honors for football. He ranked second overall in Division III football with 24 tackles-for-loss, a new modern era record, and stood fifth in Division III with 12 sacks, tying his own modern era record. His co-captain fourth-year cornerback Colin Carrier joined him on the defensive first team.

On offense, eight Maroons won first team certificates. Fourth-years tackle Rich Bartolomei and center Phil Pengiel; third-years quarterback Matt Rinklin, wideout Micah Dawson, running back Nick Schey, guard Joe Bufalino, and tackle Ben Potts; and second-year wideout Mike Albian represent an offense that averaged more than 25 points a game against UAA opponents.

First-year safety Todd Young won Defensive Rookie of the Year honors. He made the second team, along with fourth-year kicker Mike Morzenti, third-years defensive tackle Tom Miller and guard Leon Gordon, second-years linebacker Gaby Fernandez and fullback Kyle Cepeda, and first-year linebacker Vinny O’Leary. Fourth-years nose tackle Brad Banken, cornerback Pat Conway, receiver Brandon Igyarto, third-year safety Scott Johnson, and second-year linebacker Tony Insalaco were all honorable mention picks.

The coaching staff was also recognized, as head coach Dick Maloney and assistants Andy Drude, Jeff Sokol, Tom Mitchell, Derrick Brooms, Matt Barrett, and John Potocki won UAA Coaching Staff of the Year. It is the fourth time Maloney has been so honored.

For men’s soccer, fourth-years midfielder Giordano Palloni and fullback Peter Schlaefer made the first team. Palloni had the fourth-most points on the team, adding three goals to a squad-leading eight assists in the regular season. Schlaefer was a wall in the middle of the field for a defensive squad that gave up less than a goal a game over 18 games.

Fourth-year forward Ryan Ehle and third-year goalkeeper Keith Crum were named to the second team, while fourth-years midfielder Joe Frontczak and forward Brian Standerfer were noted as honorable mention selections.

While their female counterparts didn’t have as many representatives on the All-UAA squad, they made up for the lack of quantity in quality, as three Maroons were picked for the first team. Fourth-year forward Renee Neuner made the top squad for the fourth straight year, the first Chicago player ever to do so. Neuner holds both the Chicago school and UAA league records for goal scoring. Fellow seniors forward Diana Connett and midfielder Jacqui de Leon also made the team. It was de Leon’s third straight year on the squad, and Connett’s second first-team selection in three years.

The women’s defensive unit will be well represented by second teamer fourth-year Elise Aiken. While Aiken only recorded one goal on the year, she was a critical piece of a back five that allowed just 0.55 goals per game through 23 games.

Both of volleyball’s selections came as honorable mention picks. Fourth-year right side hitter Erica Pettke made the team for the second straight year, while Kendall broke through to make the team for the first time in her collegiate career.

Cross country all-league standing was determined at the league meet October 29. Fourth-year Teage O’Connor’s seventh-place finish earned him a spot on the men’s All-UAA first team and helped lead the team to the second spot in the conference. O’Connor’s classmate Pat Hogan (ninth) and third-year Emil Bojanov (10th) made the second team.

A second-place finish for Jessica Winter grabbed her All-UAA honors for the third consecutive season. While no other Maroons made the first team for women’s cross country, third-years Dilshanie Perera and Vidthya Abraham made the second team, crossing the line ninth and tenth at the conference championship meet.