League names ten Maroons to the All-UAA squad: Sport Shorts 5/2/06

The men’s and women’s tennis squads may not have captured first place at the league championships hosted by Emory April 21–23, but plenty of Maroons stood out in the tournament to earn selection to the All–UAA team.

The pairing of fourth-year Ward Bortz and third-year Vivek Venkataraman (9–3) and the tandem of second-year Sasha Deriy and first-year Alex Winney (5–6) both posted perfect 2–0 marks in Atlanta. Playing at first doubles, Bortz and Venkataraman recorded an 8–4 victory over Carnegie Mellon third-year Jordan Koslosky and first-year Yiran Liu while Deriy and Winney took care of business at third doubles with an 8–4 win over third-year Dan Munoz and fourth-year Carl Yang in the Maroons’ 5–2 loss to the Tartans Saturday. Continuing to mow down opponents Sunday, Bortz and Venkataraman crushed Rochester fourth-year Eric Prince and first-year Jeffrey Titcombe 8–3, while Deriy and Winney edged fourth-year Josh Bruce-Black and third-year Michael Burger 8–6 in Chicago’s 4–3 triumph against the Yellowjackets. Both duos earned first team recognition.

While the men turned heads with their doubles performances, the women gained notice for their singles play. The league named first-year Vindya Dayananda (19–9) the UAA rookie of the year and to first singles on the second team after her 2–1 outing at Emory’s courts. Joining her on the second team for their singles play are her classmate Anuja Parikh (20–7) and fourth-year Annie Miller (21–6). With stellar 2–0 records for the weekend, Parikh and Miller dominated at third and fifth singles. The rookie wiped out Carnegie Mellon first-year Sheena David 6–0, 6–3 before pulling out the 7–6, 3–6, 6–1 win over Wash U first-year Pai Shweta later in the day. The veteran notched two solid victories on the weekend, a 6–1, 6–0 steamroll of the Brandeis second-year Jennifer Levine and a 6–1, 6–4 put down of the Bears’ first-year Ania Tcherguiko. Parikh and classmate Preetha Rajamani combined forces for the first time this season for a 2–1 mark at second doubles mark in Atlanta and they were the women’s only doubles pair named to the All–UAA roster.