STD—5/6/2011 to 5/12/2011

More cheap things around the town.

Friday | May 6

It’s hard out there for a pimp, and it’s even harder for the improvising pimps in the Chemically Imbalanced Comedy’s production of Pimprov. The four pimps, who all took improv classes on accident, will break into spontaneous song and dance and show a complete disregard for political correctness, all while wearing ridiculous velour suits and bling. Don’t forget to BYOB. (1422 W. Irving Park Rd., 10:30 p.m., $15)

Saturday | May 7

Cinco de Mayo may be over, but it’s not too late to celebrate Mole de Mayo. Over eight chefs will be presenting their unique mole recipes for the Best Mole and People’s Choice awards. In addition to delicious food and drink, there will be mariachi performances and Lucha Libre wrestlers will be making a special appearance in the mid-afternoon. (1811 S. Paulina St., 10 a.m., free)

Dust off those Polish flags and head over to the Polish Constitution Day Parade in Grant Park. The 120th annual parade honors the first democratic constitution in Europe and the second in the world behind the United States (Grant Park, 11:30 a.m., free).

Sunday | May 8

Get a different perspective of Bingyi’s Cascade at a concert highlighting the musical and visual elements of the abstract ink painting. The flute and pipa (a traditional Chinese lute) performance as well as the free-style improvised chanting is meant to evoke the movement of water in what is thought to be the largest rice paper ink painting ever made. (Smart Museum, 2 p.m., free).

Monday | May 9

In his latest project, musician and performance and visual artist Arrington de Dionyso explores the boundaries between surrealist automation, shamanic séance, and folk imagery in rock and roll. The result is Malaikat Dan Singa, a trance-punk group featuring bass clarinet, guitars, percussion, and Tuvan throat singing, all performed in Indonesian. Title Tracks and the Field Auxiliary will be opening. (1035 N. Western Ave., 9:30 p.m., free)

Tuesday | May 10

Join local actors and performers at the This Much is True storytelling. The monthly event has performers providing intimate peeks into their lives through the performance of personal essays and vignettes. (5148 N. Clark, 7:30 p.m., free)

Wednesday | May 11

He may have only been gang leader for a day, but the book by sociologist Sudhir Venkatesh received a Best Book award from The Economist and is being translated into six languages. The current Columbia professor will be at the Harris School this week to discuss his latest work on the regulation of underground economies through customs, norms, and laws. (Harris School Lecture Hall 142, 4 p.m., free)

Thursday | May 12

Show off your air guitar skills at the 2011 U.S. Air Guitar Championship Chicago Regional and vie for a spot in the national championship round in July or even the world championships to be held in Finland this August. Competitors will be judged on technical merit, stage presence, and “airness.” Of course, all guitars must be invisible. (1572 N. Milwaukee Ave., 9 p.m., $12, 21+)