Distance stars, Carlson win UAA honors: Sports Shorts 1/3/06

Coming off appearances at the NCAAs, Chicago distance runners wasted no time in leaving their mark on the winter.

Fourth-year distance maven Jessica Winter and third-year long man Emil Bojanov were named UAA Athletes of the Week for women’s and men’s track and field, respectively, after the Maroons’ first meet of the season, the league announced Tuesday. The conference office also tapped first-year Shane Carlson for his efforts for men’s swimming and diving.

Winter’s hunt for another All-American certificate got off to a great start at the Chicago Opener, as she crossed the line a full seven seconds ahead of the second-place finisher, Maroons third-year Jackie Kropp, for a 2:21.05 performance in the 800-meter run.

On the men’s side, Bojanov helped his team to first place at the Opener with a second-place showing in a competitive 3,000-meter field. His 8:45.12 mark was a little under six seconds behind Cornerstone University’s Derek Scott.

Unlike Bojanov, the points Carlson contributed weren’t part of a winning effort. However, he still did yeoman’s work in winning two individual events, hitting the wall first in the 200- (1:46.20) and 500-yard freestyle (4:44.05) in the team’s 160–132 loss at Olivet. He has now won eight different individual races on the year.

It was Winter’s second-ever indoor track weekly award, and the 11th weekly award of her illustrious Chicago career. For Carlson, the honor was the second of his young career, while it was Bojanov’s second overall and first for indoor competitions.