Record three football players make All-American team: Sports Shorts 1/20/06

After their remarkable late season run, it seemed likely that football was going to be in for some postseason recognition. What they got was the perfect ending to a perfect season.

For the first time in the modern era, the Maroons had three players picked for All-American honors by Football Gazette. Fourth-year defensive lineman Rob Tamillow capped off his career with a second-team selection, while his classmates cornerback Colin Carrier and center Phil Pengiel earned honorable mention certificates.

Tamillow, who graduated from the University in the fall, was second in Division III football in tackles-for-loss per game with 2.5, and recorded 1.2 sacks per game to hold down the fifth spot in that category. He set school records this year with 24 tackles-for-loss and 12 sacks on the season. He was previously recognized for his contributions in stopping the run and breaking through the opponents’ o-lines with the UAA Defensive Player of the Year Award and a spot on the roster for the Aztec Bowl Division III All-Star team.

Avoiding Tamillow by relying on the passing game didn’t go particularly well for Chicago’s opponents with Carrier leading the secondary. The cornerback had 10 interceptions on the year to lead Division III in picks per game and set a modern era program record for total INTs in a season. His 15 interceptions over four years set a new career mark for the team, and his three picks in a 14–7 league championship-clinching win over Case November 5 set a single-game record. He also had four touchdowns as a wide receiver on the year.

The team was well-represented on the other side of the ball by Pengiel. One of the linchpins of the offensive line, the center helped the offensive unit average more than 375 total yards per game, including almost 140 on the ground.

The trio are the first Maroons to make the All-American squad since tight end Mike Healy (AB ’04) was named to the second team in 2002. The only previous occasion in which multiple Chicago players were selected was the 1991 season, when defensive end Neal Cawi (AB ’92) and punter Jeff Stolte (AB ’94) were chosen.