Crime Report

A man who was walking alone and talking on his cellular phone on the 1400 block of East 50th Street on October 23 at 8:15 P.M. was approached from behind by two men. One demanded that he give up both the phone and his money. The man ignored the two offenders and continued walking. The offender then said, “Give me your money and your phone or I’ll shoot you.” The man then began to run, got to his apartment, and called the police. The police later found the two offenders on the 1400 block of East Hyde Park Boulevard. The police chased the two men into an apartment on the 5100 block of South Blackstone Avenue. One of the men was released without charges, but Adam Lemons, 20, who had made the demands, was charged with aggravated attempted robbery.

An apartment on the 5200 block of South Cornell Avenue was entered sometime between 11:15 A.M. and 9:15 P.M. on October 23. The burglars forced their way in through the front door, took money, and then left through the back door.

A woman was in her apartment on the 5600 block of South Drexel Avenue at 6:30 P.M. on October 22 when she walked into the front room of the apartment. She found a man standing there holding a camera that he had taken from the living room table. The woman confronted him, and the man handed her the camera, apologized, and left. He was described as a black man, about 40 years old with a thin mustache, wearing dark clothing.

An apartment on the 5200 block of South Drexel Avenue was entered between noon and 9 P.M. The burglar used body force and a pry tool to enter through the back door and took a computer and accessories.

An apartment on the 1300 block of East Hyde Park Boulevard was entered through an unlocked window on October 22 between 11:30 A.M. and 1:30 P.M. The resident’s jewelry was taken.

A man was in his residence on the 5500 block of South Blackstone Avenue on October 22 at 2:20 P.M. when he heard a scratching sound coming from the kitchen. The resident went to the kitchen to investigate and saw a man looking in through the window. Upon seeing the resident, the man fled westbound on 55th Street. The offender had cut two small slits in the window’s screen and was described as a Hispanic man, 35 to 40 years old, 6 feet tall, 165 pounds, with a light complexion and a thin mustache. He was wearing a blue cap and a blue three-quarter-length jacket.

—Carolina Bolado