Stuff To Do (STD) 1/16/09—1/22/09

W., Dusable, and Dogfish Heaven.

Friday / January 16

Schubas Tavern presents a neat lineup of up-and-coming indie bands in its Tomorrow Never Knows festival. Bands playing on Friday include Bright Eyes label mate Cursive and DJ Autobot of Chicago-based Flosstradamus. (3159 North Southport Avenue, 9 p.m., $15)

George W. Bush faces off against Hollywood in Oliver Stone’s predictably liberal biopic W. In this political satire, the soon-to-be former president is depicted as an alcoholic from a hierarchical family. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 11:45 p.m., $5)

Saturday / January 17

Just because Mystery Science Theater 3000 ended its run in 1999, it doesn’t mean that making smart-alec remarks about B-movies must go out of style. This weekend, the B-Movie Madness Marathon will feature seven non-stop hours of bad ’80s horror films. However, it is up to audience members to make their own obnoxious comments. (4050 North Milwaukee Avenue, 5 p.m., $10)

Diana Son is best known as a writer on the riveting series, Law and Order: Criminal Intent. She also penned Stop/Kiss, a new play about two heterosexual women (a traffic reporter and a schoolteacher in the Bronx) who share an increasing attraction towards each other. (4802 North Milwaukee Ave., 2:30 p.m., $15)

Sunday / January 18

In following the patriotic trend of late, this year’s Chicago Music Awards are being held in honor of President-elect Barack Obama. While the event has been known to boost Kanye West’s ego, it also showcases other Chicago-based musical acts. Legendary blues combo Siegel-Schwall Band will be receiving a lifetime achievement award. (322 West Armitage Avenue, 7 p.m., $50)

Monday / January 19

The DuSable Museum celebrates the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with its annual Martinmas celebration. This year’s festivities are part of the museum’s “Celebrate the Dream” exhibit that culminates on Inauguration Day. Documentaries on King’s role in the Civil Rights Movement will be shown, and storytellers will regale the audience with King’s historical accomplishments. (DuSable Museum, 10 a.m., $15)

Tuesday / January 20

The band famous for making even the not-so-glamorous aspects of Las Vegas glitter with stardust and moonbeams will be making an appearance at UIC. The Killers are fresh out of the studio with their newest album Day & Age and are currently on the first leg of their world tour. (1150 W. Harrison Street, 7 p.m., $40.50)

The very time-appropriate classic Mr. Smith Goes to Washington tells the story of Washington outsider Jefferson Smith as he stumbles through the labyrinth that is Capitol politics. The film that made Jimmy Stewart a star shows that the truth is still worth fighting for. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 7 p.m., $5)

Wednesday / January 21

Sam Calagione, owner of Dogfish Head Ale, and Three Floyd’s brewer Nick Floyd host DogFloydapalooza, a party to celebrate Calagione and Floyd’s respective beers. The Waco Brothers will provide musical entertainment. (1375 West Lake Street, 9 p.m., $10)

Thursday / January 22

U of C’s culture magazine kicks off its first issue of the year with the Noyes Launch Party. Although the main idea of the event is to promote the magazine, there will also be plenty of entertainment with a sushi chef (complete with a demonstration), a raffle, and Guitar Hero. (Hutch, 8 p.m., free)

The American Theater Company kicks off previews for its production of the Pulitzer prize–winner Topdog/Underdog. The play, which features only two actors, chronicles the relationship between two black brothers as they struggle to overcome poverty. (1909 West Byron Street, 8 p.m., $35)