STD (Stuff To Do)—1/23/09 to 1/29/09

David Holland, Back to Bach, and High School to Musical.

Friday / January 23

Russian-American virtuoso pianist Vladimir Feltsman makes a special appearance at Mandel Hall as part of the Chicago Presents concert series. Feltsman will be playing a variety of pieces spanning different musical eras, including Bach’s Partita No. 1 in B-Flat Major and Beethoven’s melodic Pathetique Sonata. (Mandel Hall, 7:30 p.m., $5)

Troy, Sharpay, and the rest of the High School Musical gang are back in Doc’s showing of High School Musical 3: Senior Year. The Disney franchise that ignited a Zac Efron frenzy among tweens once again features catchy songs and a completely accurate portrayal of high school life. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 11:30 p.m., $5)

Saturday / January 24

Unlike other DJs who push play on a laptop and call it a performance, RJD2 (real name Ramble John Krohn) transforms his act into a work of art. The multi-faceted producer, instrumentalist, and singer will be appearing with the Disco Biscuits and Prefuse 73. (2135 North Milwaukee Avenue, 7 p.m., $25)

Sunday / January 25

A full program of Bach’s works, Back to Bach features former Rockefeller Chapel organist William Neil. Bach’s classics will be performed the way the famed composer and royal organist intended for them to be performed—on the Chapel’s newly restored E.M. Skinner pipe organ. (Rockefeller Chapel, 5 p.m., $5)

Jazz bassist Dave Holland and his eponymous quintet grace Mandel Hall with a rare performance. The groundbreaking musician is currently experimenting with rhythm and rhythmic structures, redefining and transforming the genre of modern jazz. (Mandel Hall, 7:30 p.m., $10)

Victory Gardens Theater hosts the Winter Block Party to celebrate Chicago’s graffiti art and hip-hop culture. Highlights of the public radio sponsored event include hip-hop performances and a live mural painting culminating in the presentation of a State of Society Report by graffiti artist Upski. (2433 North Lincoln Avenue, 12 p.m., free)

Monday / January 26

Avoid freezing during the winter months with Iyengar yoga classes offered by the Yoga Club every week. The drop-in classes that meet three times a week will not only warm you up and get your blood pumping, but will also provide a satisfying workout. (Ida Noyes, 5:30 p.m., $5)

Tuesday / January 27

Despite aging band members and seemingly outdated riffs and opinions, Metallica still puts on a good show. Recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the band is currently on a world tour to promote its ninth studio album, Death Magnetic. (6920 North Mannheim Road, Rosemont, 7 p.m., $59)

Wednesday / January 28

Whether you love or hate her, Lady Sovereign has proved herself to be one of the premier British female rappers. The perky artist known for her Sporty Spice–esque look is currently playing a string of intimate shows. (1035 North Western Avenue, 9:30 p.m., 21+, $12)

The ever-elusive American Dream is the star at the Gene Siskel Film Center with its showing of Christmas in July and Detour. These 1940s films show two very different paths towards the attainment of the dream and then an eventual fall from grace by their respective protagonists. Christmas in July tells the comedic follies of a lowly office clerk after he wins a coffee slogan contest, while Detour is about a man who hitchhikes west to join his girlfriend, only to be held up by a femme fatale. (164 North State Street, 6 p.m., $7)

Thursday / January 29

As if a rock-paper-scissors tournament were necessary, the Illinois Lottery is holding one throughout the state to promote its newest scratch-off card. In the manner of any serious competition, this one will be determined by a bracket system. The grand prize is $500. (1059 West Addison street, 8 p.m., free)