City to close roads for Obama rally Saturday

President Obama will bring crowds and road closures with him to a rally on campus Saturday.

In one of his last scheduled stops before the midterm elections, President Barack Obama will hold a public rally that includes a performance by hip-hop artist Common on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. on the Midway Plaisance.

The rally will mean street closures on either side of the Midway. “As with any Presidential appearance, this one comes with extraordinary security measures,” said University spokesman Jeremy Manier.

The City of Chicago will close roads from East 58th Street in the north to East 61st Street in the south and from South Cottage Grove Avenue in the west to South Stony Island Avenue in the east. Parking will be prohibited starting at 6 a.m. on Saturday, and traffic will be banned at noon.

The restrictions will be in effect until midnight.

Foot traffic and campus buildings will not be affected except by some areas blocked off by the main area, Manier said.

The event, ninth in a series of “Moving America Forward” rallies, is part of a Democratic push to maintain the party’s control of Congress as the November 2nd midterm elections approach.

Recent polls have shown Republicans in a slight lead in the Congressional and gubernatorial races. Recent rallies by Democratic leaders have focused on recapturing the historic turnout from the 2008 general elections.