STD—January 7 to January 13

Boobs and Goombas, Paris is Burning, and other fun stuff to do around Chicago this week

Friday | January 7

If Christmas isn’t your thing, celebrate the feast of Epiphany with a special performance by the Schola Antiqua vocal ensemble of Chicago. The concert, titled “Follow the Star: Medieval and Renaissance Music for Epiphany,” will include a program of both seasonal and 12th-century works. (Rockefeller Chapel, 8 p.m., $10)

Despite having just released its 8th studio album, Hurley, in November, Weezer’s current Memories Tour is devoted to past albums. For all diehard =W= fans, the band will be performing The Blue Album in its entirety on Friday night, followed by all of Pinkerton on Saturday night. (1106 West Lawrence Avenue, 7:30 p.m., $42.25)

Saturday | January 8

In its show “BOOBS and GOOMBAS,” the Gorilla Tango Theatre presents a sexy, burlesque tribute to the Mario Bros. video games. Mario and Luigi have become so frustrated in their fruitless pursuit of Princess Peach that everything they see now looks like sexy women. Don’t forget to bring coins to unlock the alternative ending. (1919 North Milwaukee Avenue, 11 p.m., $15)

Sunday | January 9

Contempo, the University’s contemporary chamber group, opens its 46th season with the “Lyre of Orpheus.” The concert is devoted to American composers, especially the work of Contempo founder Ralph Shapey. Performers include the Pacifica Quartet, eighth blackbird, mezzo-soprano Julia Bentley, and banjo player Jesse Langen. (430 South Michigan Avenue, 3 p.m., $5)

Monday | January 10

Celebrate the start of a long winter with the first day of Kuviasungnerk/Kangeiko. Monday morning’s calisthenics will be led by Professor Kagan Arik, after which participants can join the Aikido or Ballroom and Latin Dance workshops. Those who brave the cold all five days of the program will receive a free long-sleeved t-shirt. (Henry Crown, 6 a.m., free)

Tuesday | January 11

In the 1990 documentary Paris is Burning, filmmaker Jennie Livingston explores the ball culture of New York City and the African American, Latino, gay, and transgender communities involved in it. Since the documentary was largely filmed in the mid to late ’80s, Paris is Burning also touches on racism, homophobia, AIDS, and poverty. (5710 South Woodlawn Avenue, 7:30 p.m., free)

Wednesday | January 12

In the Guatemalan film Marimbas from Hell, street musician Don Alfonso has been hit with hard times–he has just been fired from his restaurant gig, extortionists have threatened to steal his marimba, and his dream of making it as a marimba star seems less and less likely. However, everything changes when Alfonso meets an aging heavy metal star and the two combine their two seemingly incompatible music styles. (Gene Siskel Film Center, 8:45 p.m., $7)

Thursday | January 13

Join local writers Aaron Cynic and Jeff Phillips at the monthly Liquid Burning of Apocalyptic Bard Letters. Local authors read original dystopian fiction and then mingle with guests to discuss (and toast) the end of the world. (3101 North Sheffield Avenue, 8 p.m., free)