Voices STD (Stuff to Do) – May 20, 2005

Friday, May 20

Go watch the existential comedy I Heart Huckabees on the main quads, and then dance the night away at COUP’s dance party on the Classics Quad, while enjoying free refreshments. (9 p.m. to 4 a.m., free, main and Classics quads)

Donate to a worthy cause and listen to the sweet sounds of a cappella at “Voices United for Darfur,” featuring the U of C’s Ransom Notes and U of I’s all-male group, the Xtension Chords, in the Bartlett Dance Room. (9:30 p.m., $2 in advance, $3 at the door, Bartlett Dance Room)

Head over to the Smart Museum to hear student musicians performing jazz, folk, and Scottish ballads, among other things, in “Smart Soundscapes.” Aside from the music, you get free food and drinks (and a rare chance to wander around the galleries at night). (6 to 9 p.m., free Smart Museum)

If salsa is your thing, you have a chance to break out your best moves at the salsa dance party tonight at Ida. (8:30 to 11 p.m., $2, Ida Noyes East Lounge)

Chewing, the Zephyr Dance Company’s spring concert, opened yesterday at the Ruth Page Center for the Arts, and runs through tomorrow. (8 p.m., $12 for students, $17 in advance and $20 at the door for non-students, 1014 North Dearborn Avenue)

Saturday, May 21

Sure, the weather’s been so erratic lately that there’s no guarantee it will feel like spring today, but I’m sure you’ll feel sunny inside if you venture out to the main quads for Summer Breeze, which began last night with the movie on the quads. COUP puts on an all-day carnival with free food. Events include a rock show with WHPK radio, SG’s talent show featuring various RSOs, a performance by a hypnotist, and a pie-eating contest with a $50 first-place reward. You can also bounce around on the inflatables, get your face painted or your caricature drawn, and ask a balloonist to make you a balloon animal. After that, head over to Hutch Courtyard for MAB’s outdoor concert, with acts Julie Roberts, Ted Leo/Pharmacists, Nas, and special guest DJ Blockhead. (carnival: 12 to 5 p.m., free, main quads; MAB show: 6 p.m., $12 for students and $17 for non-students in advance, $15 and $20 on day of show, Hutch Courtyard)

If you like free wine and cheese and want to have a look at the newest sex toys on the market, consider heading out to Early to Bed, a feminist-owned sex toy store. The reception is held by the Chicago NOW’s Lesbian Rights Issue Team. (9 to 12 p.m., free, 5232 North Sheridan Road)

Today marks the second day of the Ethnoise Annual Conference, “Music and Cultural Politics,” lasting all day. (Classics 10)

Japanese experimental ensemble the Boredoms play at Logan Square Auditorium in one of only five U.S. shows, with Soft Circle opening. (9:30 p.m., $20, 2539 North Kedzie Avenue)

Sunday, May 22

The University of Hip-Hop presents “Community Arts Nfo/Xpo.” (2 to 5:30 p.m., free, Hutch Courtyard)

The Baek Jung Hee Dance Company, one of Korea’s best known dance groups, holds a traditional Korean dance workshop at Ida. (7 to 8 p.m., free, Ida Noyes Third Floor Theater)

The University Wind Ensemble presents Finale. This concert includes parts of Dvorak’s New World Symphony and Mahler’s Symphony No. 3, as well as Creston’s Celebration Overture, Arnold’s Prelude, Siciliano, and Rondo, and excerpts from Bernstein’s West Side Story. (4 p.m., free, Mandel Hall)

The New Music Ensemble presents “Eleven Studies for Eleven Players” at Fulton Recital Hall. (8 p.m., free, Goodspeed)

Settle on the east lawn of Rockefeller Chapel to maximize your listening pleasure for this evening’s student carillon recitals. (6 p.m., free, Rockefeller Chapel)

Monday, May 23

Famous Door Theatre’s annual “Women at the Door” festival—a reading series celebrating new theatrical works by female artists—runs today through Wednesday at the Gallery 37 Storefront Theater. (7:30 p.m., $10 suggested donation, 66 East Randolph Street)

Pinebender plays at the Empty Bottle tonight with opening acts Catfish Haven and Sybris. (9:30 p.m., free, 1035 North Western Avenue)

Tuesday, May 24

Photographer Dan Dry, 1981’s National Press Photographer of the Year, hosts a workshop on—what else?—photography. Whether you want to become a better photographer or just want to hear Dry talk about his experiences on the job, check it out. (5:30 to 7 p.m., free, Cobb 206)

Fire Escape Films presents its Spring Festival, featuring short films and videos, at Doc. (9:15 p.m., free, Ida Noyes Max Palevsky Cinema)

Seventy Two Others plays at Martyrs’ with opening acts Little Marsh Overflow and Nomad Planets. (9 p.m., $6, 3855 North Lincoln Avenue)

Can’t get enough of that a cappella? Voices in Your Head, the U of C’s premiere co-ed choir sans accompaniment, holds its year-end concert. (7 p.m., $5, Bond Chapel)

Wednesday, May 25

Get a sneak preview of UT’s 10th week production of Electra in Sophocles’s Electra: Staging Antagonism and Revenge, a staging of two scenes from the show, followed by a panel discussion and question and answer session. Refreshments precede the event at 4 p.m. in the South Lounge. (4:45 p.m., free, Reynolds Club)

For those 21 and over: Newcity hosts a summer guide release party, Bright Lights Buenos Aires, at Argentinean nightclub N Barra. Enjoy food, drink, and live tango singers. You also get complimentary sangria from 7 to 8 if you RSVP at newcitycgi.com/thirst/2003/rsvp _buenosaires.php (7 p.m., $10 for food, $2 per glass of Argentinean wine, 2977 North Elston Avenue)

Thursday, May 26

The U of C’s Jazz X-tet celebrates its 10th birthday with a CD release compilation concert at Fulton Recital Hall. (8 p.m., free, Goodspeed)

Poem Present has a reading by about 15 poets from the U of C and greater Chicago community. Go to poempresent. uchicago.edu for the complete list of presenters. (5:30 p.m., free, Classics 10)

You may have heard of poet E.E. Cummings, but did you know he also wrote a play called Him? That play—about the relationship between struggling playwright Him and his lover Me—opens today at the Viaduct Theatre. And no, we don’t get it, either. ($12-$18, 3111 North Western Avenue)