Voices STD (Stuff to Do)

There’s a nice mix of things going on this week, so there’s sure to be something for everyone. Because of the start of the Festival of the Arts, there are many things happening right here at the U of C. Also, don’t forget ongoing events like the Taisho Chic exhibition at the Smart Museum and the current season of Off-Off every Friday.

Friday, May 14

Festival of the Arts opening, the Smart Museum, 9 p.m. The yearly two-week festival begins tonight. The opening event would be a good chance to catch up on everything that’s happening this year, but even if you miss it, make sure to check out what’s going on. There’re bound to be many interesting things.

“The World’s Fair Regained,” Le Vorris and Vox Circus, fair at 4 p.m., show at 7 p.m. (also on May 15; fair starts at 1 p.m., shows at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.). This group of students put on a great show last year on the Bartlett Quad. I highly recommend this circus—an interesting combination of the traditional and the surreal. Plus, they’re going to be on the Midway, complete with carnival booths. Oh, and their posters are awesome. I want one, seriously.

The Greater Mysteries, Rockefeller Chapel, 8 p.m. (also, the same time on May 15), $15 general, $8 student, tickets at the door. A modern interpretation of medieval mystery plays depicting stories from Genesis, ranging from the Creation to the Flood.

Troy opens. $200 million, one Brad Pitt. You know it will do well. But should it do well? Who knows, but the thing will look good. Is the Classics department organizing a field trip?

Felix da Housecat at Crobar, 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. Well known house DJ and Chicago native returns home to promote his latest album.

Pacifica Quartet, Fulton Recital Hall, U of C, 8 p.m. The current artists-in-residence finish up their series of performances for the year.

Andrew W.K., the Bottom Lounge, 7 p.m., $15.

Saturday, May 15

Talib Kweli, House of Blues, doors open at 11 p.m., $22.50. Check out one of last year’s Summer Breeze acts when he returns to Chicago.

University of Chicago Chamber Orchestra, Fulton Recital Hall, 8 p.m., free.

Gorey Stories, Third Floor Theater, 8 p.m., $5. Also Friday at 8 p.m.

Sunday, May 16

The Offspring at the Aragon Ballroom, 7 p.m., $25.

The Cardigans at the Double Door, 9 p.m., $15.

Pacifica Quartet, Eighth Blackbird with pianist Lisa Kaplan, Fulton Recital Hall, 8 p.m. A program of University of Chicago student composers.

Wednesday, May 19

Cypress Hill, House of Blues, doors open at 7:30 p.m., $30.

RJD2, Abbey Pub, doors open at 9 p.m., $15.

Thursday, May 20

The Medium, First Floor Theater, May 20 to 22 (8 p.m.; 2 p.m. on the 22nd), $5. UT presents Gian Carlo Menotti’s opera. I don’t know if this is the first time, but regardless…how often do you see an opera put on by UT?

Cyrano opens at the Museum of Contemporary Art.