Faculty to Zimmer: Do More to Protect Undocumented Students

The following letter was sent to Provost Diermeier and President Zimmer on December 1 with 386 faculty signees. It is also viewable here, where it can be signed by all members of the University of Chicago community.

“From time to time instances will arise in which the society, or segments of it, threaten the very mission of the university and its values of free inquiry. In such a crisis, it becomes the obligation of the university as an institution to oppose such measures and actively to defend its interests and its values.” 

—Report on the University’s Role in Social and Political Action, the Kalven Committee, November 11, 1967

Dear Provost Diermeier and President Zimmer,

We, the undersigned faculty, write you to offer concrete proposals toward fulfilling your and the University’s stated commitment to our undocumented students. We are alarmed by President-elect Donald Trump’s declared intention to implement policies that threaten the civil rights and well-being of members of our community. We believe that the University has a clear responsibility in these urgent circumstances. As one of the country’s premier research universities with a large and diverse student body, and with a history of offering support and refuge to members of persecuted minority groups, we hope that the University of Chicago can take a leading role in opposing the measures promised by President-elect Donald Trump and actively defend this institution’s core interests and values.  

While we applaud the measures you have committed to in your e-mail of November 18, and while we were heartened to hear that President Zimmer has joined more than 350 other university presidents in protest of potential changes to DACA, we call upon the University to be proactive in opposing President-elect Trump’s proposed immigration policies and countering their potential effects on this campus community. We believe it is necessary to take concrete steps in order to live up to the administration’s recent efforts to assess and improve the campus climate with respect to issues of difference, diversity, and discrimination. 

As you know, President-elect Trump has said he will cancel DACA, or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, which President Obama issued as an executive order in 2012. DACA gives provisional relief from deportation to undocumented persons who arrived as children in the US after 1981, affording them work authorization, and allowing them to apply for Social Security numbers, bank accounts, and driver’s licenses. If President Trump cancels DACA, he will strip members of our community of these protections. They will lose fellowships and stipends, their jobs and their right to work, and they and their families will be at risk of deportation. 

The psychological and social toll of these xenophobic policy proposals is already being felt campus-wide. The impending changes to immigration policy, together with the political and institutional legitimation of bigotry following the election of Donald Trump, has fostered a climate of uncertainty, fear, and distress in our community. Indeed, at a November 14 press conference with Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the President of Chicago’s Lurie Children’s Hospital described Trump’s immigration policies as provoking “a public health crisis,” and cited a 200 percent increase in calls to mental health hotlines in the state of Illinois.

Affected students at this institution have alerted us to the immediate financial, legal, and emotional pressures they face. These conversations inform the following points, which we request the University address before the presidential inauguration on January 20, 2017: 

Financial Support

• As you note in your November 18 letter, “the University uses private funds to meet the full demonstrated financial needs of undocumented students in the College.” We call on the administration to affirm its commitment to continuing this policy if DACA is cancelled, and to recalculate students’ financial need if they lose work authorization.
  • Students have brought to our attention that this policy of providing private funds does not currently uniformly cover students in graduate and professional programs. We were glad to see your commitment to “raising more private funds for financial aid to assist international and undocumented students in the College and throughout the University.” However, we request that you go a step further and guarantee the full cost of attendance (including health coverage) for affected students at all levels of study and across the divisions and units of the University.  
  •  In the event of DACA cancellation, we ask that the University provide loan forgiveness for students whose immigration status—and therefore work authorization—has been altered.