Maroon Editorial Board

CONTRIBUTIONS

To Understand the April Outbreak, We Must Recognize Administrative Failures

Fraternity parties are not the only cause of UChicago’s recent spike in COVID-19 cases.

/  

May 24, 2021

/  

2 p.m.

Offset The Upset: A New Calendar Requires New Policies

The University must implement the ancillary changes suggested by the Committee to Review the Academic Calendar.

/  

May 14, 2021

/  

3 p.m.

With Optimism, Vote Thrive

The Maroon Editorial Board endorses the Thrive Slate in this year’s Student Government executive slate election.

/  

April 21, 2021

/  

8 a.m.

How The University of Chicago Can Better Serve the South Side

Over the past four months, The Maroon Editorial Board deliberated how the University of Chicago can improve its relationship with the South Side. This series, the product of interviews with various community members, activists, and University associ…

FEATURE

/  

April 1, 2021

/  

5:22 p.m.

Shaping the Conversation: The Maroon’s Role in Reporting on Race, Equity, and Opportunity on the South Side

To overhaul our reporting standards on racial equity, we have established a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion board as a starting point.

FEATURE

/  

March 30, 2021

/  

7:55 p.m.

To Repair Historic Harm, the University Must Endow South Siders With Capital and Control

The University should fund a Center for Reparative Justice and incorporate a Community Board into the Office of Civic Engagement to direct their initiatives on the South Side.

FEATURE

/  

March 30, 2021

/  

7:50 p.m.

It’s Time for UChicago To Rethink Its Development Strategy

The University’s self-interested development strategy has long displaced low-income Southsiders. It must take direct action to support affordable housing in the area and create an institutional framework to ensure that its development decisions are …

FEATURE

/  

March 30, 2021

/  

7:48 p.m.

To Be a Better Neighbor on the South Side, UChicago Must Begin on Its Own Campus

UChicago must make its physical spaces more accessible and open its academic and professional resources to the South Side.

FEATURE

/  

March 30, 2021

/  

7:44 p.m.

What We're Thankful For

Per tradition, The Maroon editorial board does its best to practice gratitude.

/  

November 24, 2020

As Chicago's Caseload Soars, the University and Its Community Must be a Part of the Solution

As Chicago enters a new stay-at-home advisory period, it’s on the University to respond to skyrocketing cases with more robust testing and informational measures, and on its members to take advantage of these programs and stay home.

/  

November 20, 2020