Crime Report – 10.28.03

A man was robbed October 22 while walking in Nichols Park on the 1300 block of East 53rd Street at 3 a.m. Two men approached him, pulled him to the ground, punched him, and went through his pockets, asking, “Where’s the money?” The victim handed them his wallet, which had only $1 inside. They hit him once more, knocking his glasses off, and fled the scene. The two offenders were described as 20-year-old black men. One was described as 5 foot 7, 160 pounds, and wearing a white hooded sweater and dark pants. The second offender was described as 5 foot 10, 185 pounds, and wearing a dark jacket and dark pants.

Several shots were fired in an alley at the 4800 block of South Drexel Avenue on October 22 at 3:15 a.m. A man and a woman were sitting in the man’s parked car in the alley when they were approached by a man who said that he’d heard some commotion and was just checking to see if everything was all right. After they exchanged some words, the man took out a handgun and fired a few shots before fleeing. No one was hurt and the car was not damaged. The man was described as a black man in his 20s, about 5 foot 7, 140 pounds, and with a dark complexion.

A woman was walking at 60th Street and South Drexel Avenue on October 17 at 6 p.m. when a 15-year-old boy approached her and grabbed her purse. She fought him and was thrown to the ground. Police saw the boy running away and took him into custody. He has been charged with attempted robbery.

A woman was assaulted while walking through the Harold Washington Playlot on 51st Street and Hyde Park Boulevard on October 16 at 7 p.m. A man came up behind her and put something that she described as a rope or a belt around her neck. She head-butted him and he struck her with his fist before running off without taking anything. She described the man as 5 foot 10 and 200 pounds.

She also said he was wearing a ski mask, a dark three-quarter-length jacket, and dark pants.

Four offenders attacked a man on the 5400 block of South Kimbark Avenue at 6:10 p.m. on October 24. The victim reported that he was approached from behind while walking along the street and then struck repeatedly by all four assailants. They demanded money, and after the victim surrendered his wallet, they fled south. The first offender is described as a black man with a medium complexion, between the ages of 17 and 23, 6 foot, 150-180 pounds, and wearing a long-sleeve, brown shirt and blue jeans. The second offender is described as a black man with a medium complexion, between the ages of 17 and 23, 5 foot 8, and was also wearing a brown shirt and blue jeans. The third offender wore black pants and a white football jersey with the number 50 on it. The fourth offender is described only as a black man.

A female victim was robbed at gunpoint at 8:55 p.m. on October 24 while walking along the 4900 block of South Dorchester Avenue. The offender approached her from behind, brandishing a handgun, and demanding her purse. She complied, and then he fled to a nearby vehicle. The offender is described as a black man with a medium complexion; 20 years old; 6 foot; and wearing a quilted bomber jacket, black and blue hooded sweatshirt, dark blue jeans, and dark gym shoes.

A woman walking south on the 5300 block of Hyde Park Boulevard was the victim of a strong-arm robbery at 4:45 p.m. on October 25. The victim was approached by a male offender who grabbed her left arm and took her purse. The offender then fled north. He is described as a black man with a dark complexion, between the ages of 20 and 25, between the heights of 6 foot to 6 foot 2, between 180-190 pounds, and wearing a gray sweatshirt.

At 7:50 p.m. on October 23, a male victim was robbed while walking on the 5800 block of Blackstone Avenue. He was approached from behind by a male offender, who put him in a chokehold and told him to surrender his money. The victim gave the attacker $3 from his wallet. The offender then pushed the victim away and fled on foot. Immediately after the attack, the victim notified the University Police, giving them a detailed description of the offender. Minutes later, University officers who were conducting a sweep of the neighborhood saw a man who matched the description board a bus at the 57th Street and Stony Island stop. The police stopped the bus and apprehended the suspect, Mark Hines, 22, of the 7100 block of South Ingleside Avenue. He was positively identified by the victim and has been charged with robbery. Hines is set to appear in court on October 31.

–Carolina Bolado and Isaac Wolf