Women’s Soccer Notches Tie with Rival WashU

Women’s Soccer’s Senior Day honors seven players.

On both the Maroons’ senior day and the UAA conference final, the women’s soccer team, ranked No. 16 nationally, tied with No. 3 Washington University in St. Louis 1–1. The game was tight the whole way through, with several players including fourth-year Hanna Watkins going for several shots on goal that were saved. Fourth-year Sydney Jones also made a big save early on in the game, keeping the score at 0–0. The initial tie was broken at the 29-minute mark by a big play by third-year Bri Fadden, who slid the ball to second-year Nicole Kaspi, who went one-on-one with the goalie and fired off a goal. The Maroons maintained their lead until the 58th minute, when the Bears capitalized on a loose ball in the box to even out the score. 

From there, the game remained tied up through the rest of regular time and through two overtimes. Neither team could seem to find an opportunity, and the Maroon goalkeeping saved the day, with third-year keeper Miranda Malone making an important save with less than a minute to go at the end of the second overtime. With this tie, the Maroons are waiting for the NCAA Selection Show to determine whether or not they will be participating in the National Championships. 

Before the game, the seven Maroon fourth years were honored for their contributions to the program. Rachel Dias, Sydney Jones, Andrea Omehe, Katie Sadera, Clare Suter, Adrianna Vera, and Hanna Watkins have combined to produce a stellar record in their four years of 65–13–5, with three NCAA appearances, finishing in the semifinals twice and once as the national runner-up. 

Reflecting on her final season, Watkins said that “being a senior this year has only raised the stakes that much more. I am really excited to have the opportunity to compete in the tournament with my team—we have a great group this year. Hopefully we will be able to make the finals of the NCAA tournament the last game of all the seniors' soccer careers!”

Looking back at her class’ impact on the program, Watkins said she hoped they have created “a team environment that’s competitive yet enjoyable and empowering.” Heading into NCAAs, the team is “super excited for the opportunity to compete and show all the work we have put in these past couple of months. As seniors, we hope to come away with a National Championship in our final year.” The team now awaits NCAA selection.