The Hunt for UChicago’s Superior Matcha

Just in time for fall quarter, Deputy Arts Editors Miki Mukawa and Lainey Gregory review UChicago’s iced matcha lattes.
Lainey Gregory

As the weather continues to be unbearably hot, there’s one drink that many campus caffeine (but non-coffee-drinking) lovers find themselves reaching for: an iced matcha latte. As matcha enthusiasts, we’ve come to wonder: Where can we find the best matcha on campus? We embarked on our quest to answer this very important question.

We judged all of UChicago’s available matcha lattes on four criteria, each on a scale of 1–10:

Mixability: How well is the matcha mixed with the milk?

Aesthetics: How pretty is the drink?

Flavor: How is the matcha-milk balance, and generally how “good” does the drink taste?

Smoothness: How smooth is the matcha? Is it grainy?

Fairgrounds Coffee

Miki’s Thoughts

Mixability: 4/10

Aesthetics: 8/10

Flavor: 3/10

Smoothness: 6/10

At this first stop, I decided to try a limited-edition strawberry cream matcha. While visually Instagram-worthy, the drink’s flavor was disappointing. The latte cream seemed to sit on top of the matcha and was difficult to stir in, leaving two different flavors and textures entirely separated in the cup. Rather than being sweet, the strawberry cream was sour and overpowered the flavor of the matcha (though the latter problem might have been because the matcha was made with water rather than milk).

Note: there is no option to make this drink dairy-free, as there are no alternatives for the strawberry cream.

Hallowed Grounds

Lainey’s Thoughts

Mixability: 8/10

Aesthetics: 9/10

Flavor: 9/10

Smoothness: 9/10

Hallowed has outdone itself! This drink managed to have a delectable green-to-white color gradient of matcha and milk while avoiding an overpowering matcha flavor at the bottom of the cup. The matcha taste was delicate and smooth, and the drink’s texture was perfect.

Miki’s Thoughts

Mixability: 9/10

Aesthetics: 9/10

Flavor: 8/10

Smoothness: 9/10

The matcha was less concentrated than I personally prefer. That being said, this matcha latte wasn’t too sweet, and it was very well mixed and smooth.

Ex Libris

Miki’s Thoughts

Mixability: 9/10

Aesthetics: 9/10

Flavor: 8/10

Smoothness: 7/10

Flavor-wise, Ex Libris’s matcha has always been my favorite. One thing I’ve noticed with Ex Libris, though, is that their matchas are a bit inconsistent. While my drink on this day was smooth and grainless, past matchas have not been the same.

Lainey’s Thoughts

Mixability: 3/10

Aesthetics: 9/10

Flavor: 5/10

Smoothness: 6/10

This matcha’s green-to-white color gradient was beautiful. Unfortunately, this drink’s beauty was its downfall, and the deep green–colored matcha at the bottom of the cup was so concentrated that I had to spit out my first sip. The drink was poorly mixed, and I was met with chalky chunks of dry matcha while drinking. After mixing the drink myself, it tasted a bit better, but I had a hard time getting the bitter taste left over from my first sip out of my mouth. I agree with Miki; Ex Lib matchas are too inconsistent.

Starbucks

Miki’s Thoughts

Mixability: 9/10

Aesthetics: 9/10

Flavor: 7/10

Smoothness: 9/10

Starbucks’s strong matcha flavor is a flavor I thoroughly enjoyed, and this was a great post-class treat for myself. If you’re not a fan of sweet matcha, though, I wouldn’t recommend Starbucks—their premade matcha mix contains simple syrup, which you can’t request to take out.

Quantum Café

Lainey’s Thoughts

Mixability: 8/10

Aesthetics: 6/10

Flavor: 7/10

Smoothness: 9/10

Quantum serves pre-packaged drinks from Happy Lemon, a Taiwanese beverage chain, and I have generally found them to be too sweet. Compared to other Happy Lemon drinks, this particular matcha latte had an enjoyable mellow, lightly sweet matcha flavor. The drink’s pale green color is slightly off-putting and can likely be attributed to the matcha’s subpar quality or lack of freshness. The matcha mix tended to settle at the bottom after a short period of time, but the plastic seal over the cup made the drink easy to mix. This matcha is great if you need something quick and convenient!

Note: No dairy-free options available.

Grounds of Being

Lainey’s Thoughts

Mixability: 10/10

Aesthetics: 8/10

Flavor: 9/10

Smoothness: 10/10

Grounds of Being is the hidden gem of on-campus cafés. Tucked away in the basement of the Divinity School, GOB makes some heavenly matcha. The star of this matcha latte was the silky-smooth texture of the milk, completely eliminating the gritty texture that is common in cold matcha. This drink had an addicting earthy flavor with a touch of sweetness. While a pretty vibrant green, this matcha latte was not Instagram-worthy because it came pre-mixed. Despite this minor detail, GOB matcha is fantastic and will undoubtedly be my first stop on campus this year.

Verdict

Our winner is… Grounds of Being! Whether you’re looking for a mid-study kick or a post-exam treat, Grounds of Being’s matcha is your best bet to start your year off right.

View Comments (2)
$1955
$2500