Student Activism Organizations on Campus

Here are some of UChicago’s many student activism and advocacy organizations on campus.
Leo Vernor
Community members march through campus as a part of a UChicago Against Displacement rally in February 2023.

The Maroon has compiled a list of some of the major student activist organizations on campus. A full list of UChicago’s student organizations is available on Blueprint.

Active Minds at UChicago

Active Minds empowers students to speak openly about mental health to educate the community and encourage students to seek help. Active Minds connects students with resources that can help them manage the rigors of student life, such as information about how to access therapy on and off campus, wellness coaching, crisis hotlines, and more.

To get updates about Active Minds, join their listhost at active_minds@lists.uchicago.edu. Active Minds can be found on Instagram at @activemindsuchicago.

#CareNotCops

The #CareNotCops (CNC) campaign, overseen by UChicago United, was founded in 2018 in response to the University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD)’s shooting of fourth-year student Charles Soji Thomas while he was experiencing a mental health crisis. CNC is committed to abolishing the campus police force and creating alternatives. CNC advocates for better mental health resources and argues for redirecting funds from policing to community services, such as mental health services, through events such as rallies and engagement programs.

To learn more about the CNC campaign, go to their website uchicagounited.org. #CareNotCops can be found on Instagram at @carenotcops.

Dear Asian Youth (UChicago Chapter)

Dear Asian Youth (DAY) is a literary magazine focused on providing a platform for Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) youth to increase awareness about APIDA culture and issues as well as promote political engagement, within and beyond the APIDA community, on university campuses. The UChicago chapter of DAY hosts events throughout the year, such as fundraisers to support the magazine, an annual policy competition where teams tackle important policy issues, and cultural celebrations, such as Diwali and the Mid-Autumn Festival.

To learn more about DAY, go to their website at dearasianyouth.org. For more about the UChicago chapter, visit their website at dearasianyouthuchicago.com. DAY UChicago can be found on Instagram at @dearasianyouthuchicago.

Environmental Justice Task Force

The Environmental Justice Task Force (EJTF) focuses on social and ecological justice. Throughout the year, EJTF organizes campaigns to urge elected officials and the University to take action on climate and environmental injustice. Some of EJTF’s past projects include the “Divestival,” which sought to pressure the University into divesting its endowment from fossil fuels, and a public campaign to ban toxic chemicals in Chicago. EJTF also collaborates with organizations like Chicago Student Action to organize campaigns for issues such as police accountability, environmental justice education, and health and counseling services.

To get updates about EJTF, join their listhost at . EJTF can be found on Instagram at @ej_taskforce.

Phoenix Sustainability Initiative

The Phoenix Sustainability Initiative (PSI) promotes environmentally sustainable policies and practices on campus and in the larger community. According to their website, PSI has eight ongoing projects: Campus Composting, Community Action, Environmental Education, Green Data, Green Partnerships, Campus Waste Reduction, Public Engagement, and Science, Arts, and Sustainability (SAS).

To get updates about PSI, join their listhost at psi-news@lists.uchicago.edu. PSI can be found on Instagram at @sustainableuchicago.

Phoenix Survivors Alliance

The Phoenix Survivors Alliance (PSA) is a peer-led organization that provides information and peer support to survivors of sexual violence at UChicago. Their mission is to offer a safe space to survivors of all identities and in all stages of recovery to voice their stories and receive support. They also inform survivors of their legal and medical rights and resources for recovery.

To learn more about PSA, visit their website at phoenixsurvivorsalliance.wordpress.com. PSA can be found on Instagram at @phoenixsurvivorsalliance.

Project Reproductive Freedom

Project Reproductive Freedom (PRF) advocates for reproductive freedom in the greater Chicago area. PRF hosts events throughout the year, such as abortion access teach-ins, rallies, and fundraising. They also run the Jane Project, an initiative dedicated to filling the gap in university-provided information about reproductive health. The Jane Project includes a guide to obtaining contraception through UChicago Student Wellness and an anonymous call or text line staffed by trained volunteers.

PRF can be found on Instagram at @uchicagoprf.

Students for Disability Justice

Students for Disability Justice (SDJ) brings disability activism to the UChicago community. In the past, SDJ has run a mentorship program for students with disabilities, hosted panel discussions about COVID safety for immunocompromised students, and partnered with Active Minds to hold Health Justice Weeks.

SDJ welcomes people with all kinds of disabilities and nondisabled allies. To get updates about SDJ, join their listhost at studentsfordisabilityjustice@lists.uchicago.edu.

Students for Justice in Palestine

Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) is a chapter of a larger national organization dedicated to raising awareness about the Palestinian cause and resistance to Israeli government policies. SJP organizes protests on campus to advocate for justice, human rights, and self-determination for the Palestinian people.

SJP welcomes individuals of all backgrounds. To get updates about SJP, join their listhost at sjpalestine@lists.uchicago.edu. SJP can be found on Instagram at @sjpuchicago.

Students For Life (UChicago Chapter)

Students for Life (SFL) is a non-religious, student-led pro-life group on campus. Throughout the year, SFL UChicago hosts information sessions and speaker events. They also participate in rallies.

To learn more about SFL, visit their website at studentsforlife.org. SFL UChicago can be found on Instagram at @uchicago.sfl.

UChicago Against Displacement

UChicago Against Displacement (UCAD) focuses on the communities within Hyde Park, Woodlawn, and surrounding neighborhoods that are affected by displacement, redlining, and gentrification. UCAD advocates for the University to recognize its history of negative impact on the community and to pay reparations to the South Side. UCAD works towards this goal through panels with the community, town halls, and protests.

UCAD can be found on Instagram at @ucad.cba.