LIVE UPDATES: Pro-Palestine Encampment Enters Fourth Day on Quad

Check back for updates on the events unfolding during UChicago United for Palestine’s encampment on the quad.
Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon
The encampment has entered its fourth day on the main quad.

UChicago United for Palestine (UCUP) launched an encampment on the quad outside of Swift Hall at 10 a.m. on Monday, following in the steps of pro-Palestinian groups at numerous other universities that have set up encampments in recent weeks.

This article is being updated as the situation develops.

Coverage from days one, two, and three of the encampment can be read on the Chicago Maroon.

Day 4 Summary

The fourth day of the UChicago United for Palestine (UCUP) encampment on the main quad was marked by a series of increasingly tense moments. 

In the morning, encampment participants and a passerby shouted expletives at each other after a discussion about gentrification and the meaning of the term intifada.

In the morning, University administration offered UCUP organizers a one-hour meeting with University President Paul Alivisatos and Provost Katherine Baicker contingent on a full shutdown of the encampment, in addition to a public forum with Alivisatos and Baicker. UCUP declined this proposal, refusing to end the encampment without a commitment to meet their demands.

UCUP also held a rally at 1:40 p.m. after the University’s Deans-on-Call warned that organizing loud chants outside of the hours of noon and 1 p.m. and after 5 p.m. on weekdays would violate University policy. Organizers encouraged participants to be as loud as possible.

Facilities Services took down a Palestinian flag that had been hung in the area allocated for a registered installation from Maroons for Israel (MFI). The move was met with emphatic resistance from demonstrators, who chanted “Leave it up!” as Facilities staff attempted to dislodge the flag. In the evening, MFI released a statement on Instagram denouncing repeated attempts to remove their installation and calling for the University to shut down the encampment.

A thunderstorm in the late afternoon resulted in the University taking down the American flag on the quad. Encampment participants replaced it with a Palestinian flag, barricading the flagpole and securing the lowering mechanism in place with multiple rolls of duct tape to prevent the flag from being removed. The protesters also briefly demonstrated in front of the entrance of Levi Hall, blocking the walkway between the quad and South Ellis Avenue. Later, UCPD blocked that same walkway, where they remained into the night; tensions eased as the evening progressed.

May 2, 8:20 p.m.

The national anthem was played briefly out of the third floor of Jones Laboratory. A group of protesters walked by and booed, and the music began playing again.

— Maroon Staff

May 2, 8:12 p.m.

Maroons for Israel (MFI) published a statement on its Instagram this evening responding to the repeated removal of its displays and to the encampment. According to the statement, MFI’s banners have been vandalized and stolen six times in the six days since their installation on Friday, April 26. 

In the statement, titled “Maroons for Israel’s Statement on Free Speech at the University of Chicago,” Maroons for Israel urged University President Paul Alivisatos “to take immediate action: clarify the University of Chicago’s principles, and protect all students’ free expression.”

“We recognize President Alivisatos’ decision to ‘provide the greatest leeway possible for free expression’ by Students for Justice in Palestine’s encampment,” the statement reads. “However, this decision undermines the value it claims to protect. By tolerating SJP’s encampment, the University is actively promoting an environment that emboldens protestors to intimidate their peers into silence.”

— Maroon Staff

May 2, 6:48 p.m.

In a Telegram announcement, UCUP said that a police officer informed them that individuals who interfere with police taking down the flag could be charged with assault. The organizers encourage demonstrators “who do not want to interact with escalated police” to leave the encampment for the night.

— Maroon Staff

May 2, 6:42 p.m.

Alpha Delta Phi has begun loudly playing the U.S. national anthem from their fraternity house on 5747 South University Avenue. They have hung up a large American flag that spans roughly one story from the windows of the house.

— Maroon Staff

The American flag handing from Alpha Delta Phi house. (Tiffany Li)

May 2, 6:32 p.m.

Protesters have taped down the flagpole’s halyard, the rope used to raise and lower the flag. 

Earlier today, after UCPD had removed the American flag from the flagpole in front of Levi Hall because of rain, demonstrators raised a Palestinian flag in its place.

“This isn’t even permanent. It’s inconvenient, and that’s the point,” one protester commented.

— Maroon Staff

The further taped flagpole. (Sabrina Chang)

May 2, 6:13 p.m.

A performance by the Middle Eastern Music Ensemble has begun. Crowd members are clapping to music by six singers, two drummers, and five other musicians.

— Maroon Staff

May 2, 6:11 p.m.

Although students remain near the flagpole, the students who formed a ring around the base of the pole have dispersed.

— Maroon Staff

May 2, 6:07 p.m.

The number of UCPD officers underneath Levi Hall has decreased from roughly eight to three.

— Maroon Staff

May 2, 6:02 p.m.

Five members of Chabad have begun to play music through a speaker. They turned it off and moved it to the circle at the center of the quad walkway.

— Maroon Staff

May 2, 5:36 p.m.

Protesters are writing phone numbers on the arms of the protesters guarding the flagpole. The protesters are chanting, “The people united will never be defeated.”

Eva McCord, Co-Editor-in-Chief

May 2, 5:30 p.m.

Kent Chemical Laboratory now requires tap access to enter.

Eva McCord, Co-Editor-in-Chief

May 2, 5:24 p.m.

Three officers approached the flagpole at approximately 5:20 p.m.. By 5:23 p.m., the officers left the flagpole and returned to Levi Hall.

Amnesty International has set up an information table and signs reading “President Biden: ceasefire now!” at the edge of the encampment. Seven non-protestors are currently standing in the middle of the drum circle.

Eva McCord, Co-Editor-in-Chief and Peter Maheras, News Editor

May 2, 5:17 p.m.

At least six marked UCPD cars and two unmarked white police cars with sirens are present behind Levi Hall.

As of 5:15 p.m., the two UCPD officers stationed outside of Kent Chemical Laboratory have left. 

– Eva McCord, Co-Editor-in-Chief; Anu Vashist, Managing Editor; and Sabrina Chang, Deputy News Editors

May 2, 5:04 p.m.

“UC FUNDS GENOCIDE” has been painted on the left side of Kent Chemical Laboratory’s front door. The doors of Kent were briefly locked and have since been unlocked. There are currently two UCPD officers stationed outside the doors.

The Palestinian flag remains at full mast on the flagpole. There are currently eight protesters around the flagpole with their arms linked to form a barricade.

– Eva McCord, Co-Editor-in-Chief; Anu Vashist, Managing Editor; Tiffany Li and Katherine Weaver, Deputy News Editors

The front door of Kent Chemical Laboratory has been painted. (Peter Maheras)

May 2, 4:36 p.m.

The protestors have left the entrance of Levi Hall, and 10 UCPD officers have blocked the pathway between the quad and South Ellis Avenue with a retractable belt barrier.

The protesters remain around the flagpole with the Palestinian flag raised, shouting, “In rain or shine, we stand for a free Palestine.”

The rain has intensified.

–  Eva McCord, Co-Editor-in-Chief; Zachary Leiter, Deputy Managing Editor; Peter Maheras, News Editor; Katherine Weaver, Deputy News Editor

UCPD officers blocked the enterance of Levi Hall after protesters left the area. Peter Maheras

May 2, 4:20 p.m.

Protesters are surrounding the quad entrance of Levi Hall and occupying the passageway that runs under the building from South Ellis Avenue to the quad. Protesters are preventing pedestrians and press from walking through.

Nine UCPD officers are on the South Ellis Avenue side of the Levi entrance, blocking protesters from going through the opening and exiting the quad.

Protesters continue to chant “Free, free Palestine” and “Viva, viva Palestina.”

A group of protesters have raised the Palestinian flag on the flagpole on the quad. Around the base of the flagpole, about 10 protesters stand with their arms interlocked. The American flag ordinarily on the pole was taken down for inclement weather about an hour ago. 

— Zachary Leiter, Deputy Managing Editor; Peter Maheras, News Editor; Tiffany Li and Katherine Weaver, Deputy News Editors

Protestors have raised the Palestinian flag on the flagpole. (Tiffany Li)

May 2, 4:15 p.m.

UCUP began their second rally of the day at 4:03 p.m. by chanting “Free, free Palestine” and “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.”

An organizer read the email from Dean of Students Michele Rasmussen aloud to the crowd, which met each statement with loud boos and drumming. She then read UCUP’s drafted response, which rejects the offer of the meeting and accuses the University of supporting scholasticide.

“Disruption will continue until the University commits to meeting all of our demands. People are dying as we speak, so let’s stop playing games,” the speaker said.

Another organizer led chants of, “Michele, Michele, you’re a liar; we demand a ceasefire” and “Paul, Paul, we know you! There is blood on your hands too!”

The protesters then marched around the perimeter of the encampment while chanting.

— Katherine Weaver, Deputy News Editor

May 2, 3:56 p.m.

After the rain cleared around 3:30 p.m., Facilities Services began removing a Palestinian flag that was hanging about 25 feet in the air from a large oak tree on the quad. Maroons for Israel (MFI) had told Deans-on-Call that the flag was within the area allotted to MFI for their University-registered installation.

A crowd of protesters gathered around the tree as Facilities worked, chanting “Keep it up!” and “Shame on you!” Protesters also shouted “UCPD, KKK, IOF: you are all the same,” at a group of three Black UCPD officers who were guarding Facilities workers during the removal process. Multiple protesters shouted that taking down the flag was “a hate crime.” The Palestinian flag was removed at 3:37 p.m., did not touch the ground, and was returned to protesters.

UCPD and protesters remained in conflict on the quad after the flag came down, with Palestinian flags being waved in front of UCPD officers’ faces. A UCPD officer stepped closer to a protester and stated repeatedly, “I didn’t move [the flag].”

After UCPD officers told the protestors to step back, some protest marshals began chanting “We don’t engage with cops” in an effort to draw protesters away. After two of the officers began walking away, protesters chanted “Please go home” and “Fuck 12” at the two remaining officers. The remaining officers left the scene at 3:42 p.m, after which the crowd dispersed.

Several protesters remained below the tree waving Palestinian flags. One protester threw a water bottle on a string, which had been used as a counterweight for the removed flag, back into the tree.

–  Eva McCord, Co-Editor-in-Chief; Zachary Leiter, Deputy Managing Editor; Katherine Weaver, Deputy News Editor; and Austin Zeglis, Senior News Reporter

Facilities Services removing a Palestinian flag from a large tree across the quad from the encampment. (Zachary Leiter)

May 2, 3:51 p.m.

After the National Weather Service announced a severe thunderstorm warning for the central Cook County area this afternoon, UCUP organizers advised protesters to cover electronics. Protesters moved to cover many tents with blue tarps. Many protesters also put on plastic rain ponchos.

The encampment and quad only experienced a few minutes of heavy rain. The University took down the American flag in the middle of the encampment, in keeping with protocol for inclement weather.

– Katherine Weaver, Deputy News Editor

Eva McCord

May 2, 2:03 p.m.

The individuals who set up a table with a Chabad tablecloth and a Western Wall banner yesterday have set up four banners with the headlines “The Palestinian National Movement founder was a Nazi war criminal,” “There is apartheid in the Middle East—just not in Israel,” “The Claim: Israel is committing genocide,” and “Jews are indigenous to the land of Israel” adjacent to the table. 

At exactly 2 p.m., UCUP concluded its chanting and began Dhuhr prayer, the second daily prayer in Islam.

– Katherine Weaver, Deputy News Editor, and Austin Zeglis, Senior News Reporter

Students observe banners raised on the quad denouncing claims that Israel is an apartheid state and that Israel is committing genocide. (Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon)

May 2, 1:48 p.m.

After a rally scheduled for noon was delayed, Deans-on-Call repeatedly emphasized to UCUP that any chanting after 1 p.m. would be considered a violation of the University’s policy on protests and demonstrations. The policy permits “music, amplified sound, or other loud noise… [only] between noon and 1:00 p.m. and after 5:00 p.m. on weekdays.” 

At 1:40 p.m., encampment participants began a series of chants with megaphones, including “Disclose, divest, we will not stop, we will not rest.” 

The chants were amplified over a set of loudspeakers set up at the encampment and chant leaders encouraged demonstrators to be as loud as possible.

Anu Vashist, Managing Editor; Zachary Leiter, Deputy Managing Editor; and Katherine Weaver, Deputy News Editor

A rally organizer leads chants at 1:40 p.m. on Thursday. (Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon)

May 2, 1:45 p.m.

The University has offered encampment organizers a one-hour meeting with University President Paul Alivisatos and Provost Katherine Baicker in exchange for the immediate closing of the encampment and a promise of no further disruption, according to an email sent to UCUP by Dean of Students Michelle Rasmussen and obtained by the Maroon.

According to a message reviewed by the Maroon, UCUP said they would not disband the encampment and are in the process of formulating a response. 

Subjects of the meeting would include “topics related to the University, Israel, and divestment.” The meeting would be conducted privately with no video or audio recording, but up to 15 student observers and a faculty adviser could be present in addition to the organizers.

The University has long declined to discuss divestment, claiming that such a policy would violate its stance on institutional political neutrality.

The email also said that Alivisatos and Baicker would be willing to participate in a public forum with the University community to discuss “the many viewpoints related to the Israel-Hamas War and divestment.”

Zachary Leiter, Deputy Managing Editor; Peter Maheras, News Editor; Katherine Weaver, Deputy News Editor; Austin Zeglis, Senior News Reporter; and Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon, News Reporter

May 2, 12:30 p.m.

A group of individuals have set up a table with a Chabad tablecloth and a banner representing the Western Wall in Jerusalem, similar to what some of the same individuals set up yesterday. Signs posted on the front of the table read, “Hamas wants me dead” and “Do a mitzvah for our brothers and sisters held hostage.”

A UCUP rally scheduled to start at noon has not started.

Peter Maheras, News Editor

May 2, 11:13 a.m.

UCUP released today’s schedule of events on their Instagram. It includes a rally at noon, a teach-in on Jewish anti-Zionism at 2:30 p.m., and a performance by members of the Middle Eastern Music Ensemble at 6 p.m.

— Austin Zeglis, Senior News Reporter

May 2, 10 a.m.

The quad encampment has now been in place for 72 hours. The Maroon estimates that roughly 150 tents are on the quad.

Peter Maheras, News Editor

May 2, 9:28 a.m.

A woman walking her dog past the encampment exchanged shouted expletives with a group of protesters after a heated conversation about the meaning of the word intifada and the gentrification of Hyde Park. The woman called the protesters “antisemitic pieces of shit” and flipped them off. A protester yelled back, “Enjoy your privilege.”

Zachary Leiter, Deputy Managing Editor; Austin Zeglis, Senior News Reporter; and Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon, News Reporter

May 2, 8:18 a.m.

Two UCPD officers on bicycles spoke with members of Faculty for Justice in Palestine (FJP) about the orange mesh barriers that UCUP organizers placed around the encampment last night.

The officers told FJP that the orange barriers must be removed, describing them as “safety hazards.” The officers said that Facilities Services—accompanied by UCPD officers—would arrive in 15 to 20 minutes in trucks to take down the barriers. The faculty organizers then asked if encampment members could remove the fencing themselves.

At 8:25 a.m., UCUP organizers began removing the barriers.

— Eva McCord, Co-Editor-in-Chief; Zachary Leiter, Deputy Managing Editor; and Peter Maheras, News Editor

Encampment members begin taking down the orange fencing that once blocked walkways outside of Kent Chemical Laboratory. (Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon)

May 2, 12:17 a.m.

Just after midnight on the fourth day, a group of about five individuals came from the northeast corner of the quad and entered the encampment. Marshals approached them and attempted to route them out of the area. After about 15 minutes, the individuals left the encampment.

— Eva McCord, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Zachary Leiter, Deputy Managing Editor and Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon

May 1, 11:51 p.m.

Starting at 11:35 p.m., protesters began encircling portions of the encampment with an orange plastic barrier. Starting at approximately 11 p.m., tents closest to the edge of the lawn of the main quad had begun to be folded and moved closer to the center of the encampment.

— Eva McCord, Co-Editor-in-Chief

(Zachary Leiter)
An orange barrier has been placed in front of portions of the encampment. (Nikhil Jaiswal)
(Zachary Leiter)
Encampment members encircle portions of the encampment with an orange plastic barrier. (Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon)
51
View Comments (51)
$4993
$7000