Dumas off the mark

The April 28 Viewpoints article covering Pride Week (“Having a Gay Old Time,” 4/28/09) is massively misinformed.

The April 28 Viewpoints article covering Pride Week (“Having a Gay Old Time,” 4/28/09) is massively misinformed. Pride Week was created, organized, and run by Queers & Associates and other students, not by the LGBTQ Programming Office. The events were not, as the author claims, created to “maintain the University’s intellectual integrity at a time of obligatory indecorum”—all events were planned by students, sometimes to the dismay of the University higher-ups. I don’t know where the author got his history of Pride Weeks, but it is, again, sadly misinformed.

Beyond massive basic violations of factual integrity, I am shocked that the Maroon would appear to endorse an article that reflects the author and the Maroon as homophobic and ignorant. Cherríe Moraga is not a “lesbian freak show;” it would be far more accurate to refer to the Maroon itself as a “conservative circle jerk,” but I’m sure you don’t think that merits being in print.

Check your facts. Get something right. This article is not only downright wrong but also counter-productive, insulting, ignorant, and offensive. I hope you will take these criticisms seriously and address them in the next edition and/or publish another side of the story.

Ali Feenstra

Class of 2010