Communication breakdown

While President Randel’s e-mail to the student body earlier this week may not have entirely allayed fears about the war in Iraq, it succeeded in assuring students that the University is concerned about its student’s emotional needs and is prepared to offer any services it can in the event that the war hits closer to home. Randel reminded students about University resources without raising undue anxiety and alarm. Most importantly, Randel kept the line of communication open between students and the administration.

Communication was lacking, however, in the recent incident regarding the hardware failure of the University’s server. Technical problems are sometimes inevitable, but at a time when students are often accessing the registrar’s Web site to add or drop classes, check their grades, and access time schedules, information about the system is imperative. Students, however, were given no information about the problems NSIT was experiencing.

We realize that the gravity of war far outweighs our concerns over electronic communication. But communication is important on all fronts, whether concerning the effects of a global conflict or the relatively mundane task of registering for classes.

An open line of communication and a steady stream of information are necessary not only for a good relationship between the administration and the student body, but also to ensure that the day-to-day business of the school runs smoothly. While we commend the University for its forthrightness regarding the war, we feel that students have a right to know when the infrastructure we depend upon for scholastic activities experiences difficulties.