A Message to the Protesters From Reverend Jesse L. Jackson, Sr.

A call to keep raising the tempests on campus over the Gazan horror.
Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon
Reverend Jesse L. Jackson, Sr.

To the shock of many, demonstrations against the horror in Gaza are spreading across the country, and the young leaders of this movement are found on college campuses across this nation. At a time when the young are portrayed as self-absorbed, materialistic, and addicted to their devices, they are boldly lining up to protest the unconscionable violence in the Middle East. Not only do they demand peace, but also that universities divest from any companies that do business with Israel. These demands—in the tradition of the divestment campaign that helped end apartheid in South Africa—will prayerfully spread as the death toll in Gaza continues to rise.

What’s alarming is the pressure these young leaders are facing. The nonviolent demonstrations in question are largely being met with fierce reactions. College leadership feels it best to quash these students’ use of their right to free speech and demonstration by assembling police for mass arrests. Various college donors are cutting off monetary support and are threatening never to hire anyone who boldly protests the atrocities in Gaza. Classes are being postponed or made virtual. Graduation ceremonies are being canceled. Right-wing legislators in Congress are assailing college presidents, posturing about calling in the National Guard. 

“There comes a time,” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. taught us, “when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.” The student demonstrators are risking a great deal—suspension, expulsion, even criminal prosecution—to stop the horror in Gaza. Let the atrocities of the October 7 terror attacks not be overlooked or understated—they were reprehensible. Israel has every right to defend itself against Hamas, but not against the innocent Palestinian civilians who are entrapped and left without any means to protect themselves or flee danger. Israel is waging a massacre that has claimed over 30,000 lives, most of them women and children. Israel’s actions have pushed the over two million Gaza residents to the edge of famine. Gaza has one of the highest population densities in the world! The bombing of hospitals has ravaged medical supplies and capacity across the region. It is becoming clear, as the International Court of Justice ruled in January, that Israel’s actions put Palestinians in Gaza at an imminent risk of genocide, ordering “immediate and effective measures” to protect them. 

To the protesters and those that support them, be not dismayed that your demonstrations have already had an effect. Press coverage of the war has become more balanced. Prime Minister Netanyahu’s destructive course has received more criticism. More and more legislators are calling for a ceasefire and for conditioning any aid to Israel as an end to the violence. The Biden administration has finally begun to push hard for a ceasefire and place conditions on the military and financial support they are sending to the region. As this statement is written, Israel and Hamas seem to be moving towards a 40-day ceasefire and an exchange of hostages.

One thing should not be lost: these student leaders represent the best of our nation and give me hope in our nation’s future. These students are evidence that democracy exists. The demonstrations are not perfect, but they represent these students’ zeal and passion for their cause. Consequently, and unfortunately, many demonstrators have found themselves being labeled as antisemites. Some of the demonstrators, however, are themselves Jewish and were moved to protest Israel’s actions personally. The demonstrators represent hope for the United States, Israel, and the world. The ultimate measure of a person, Dr. King taught us, is not where he or she stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy. So, I ask: Where do we stand?

Reverend Jesse. L Jackson, Sr. is an American civil rights activist, politician, and ordained Baptist minister. He is the founder of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition. 

View Comments (9)
$5143
$7000